Subject: POM Update 11/28
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:51:14 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
November 28, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE

National media coverage of Project Open Mind was given a boost last night as
the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather ran a segment on PFLAG, the project and
the legal threats by CBN.  The spot was considered very favorable by PFLAG as
two of our key points were aired from an interview with Executive Director,
Sandra Gillis - that leaders are responsible for the words they choose to use
and that because of hate speech, parents of lesbians and gays fear for their
children.

We are continuing to evaluate the success of Project Open Mind in the three
target cities from the standpoint of media and community outreach.  It is
important to remember that the project is only three weeks old and the ads
are only a part of the total strategy of bringing the message that hate
speech fosters a climate of intolerance and violence.  

Support

Our thanks to the following for their assistance and support:

* Working Assets Long Distance
* National Campaign for Freedom of Expression

Media Coverage

11/17 - The Dallas Voice - Dallas, TX - news story, including interviews with
Dallas    PFLAG president Pat Stone and Jeffrey Garrett, POM Campaign Manager
11/22 - Channel 9 - Los Angeles - an independent station - news story
11/23 - Bay Area Reporter - San Francisco - news story
11/27 - CBS EVENING NEWS with Dan Rather - news story, including interview
 with Sandra  Gillis, Executive Director    

Action Items
* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update.