Subject: POM Update 11/27
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 11:00:35 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
November 27, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE

We hope that everyone had a happy Thanksgiving holiday.  As expected, the
long holiday weekend brought a lull in media coverage and interest in Project
Open Mind.  One major exception was Frank Rich's column in the Saturday,
November 25th issue of the New York Times.  His comments about the experience
of PFLAG member Todd Jennings, a businessman in Greenwich, Conn.,  and father
of three, and his e-mail pal, a troubled, suicidal gay teenager were very
moving.  His article continues our efforts to put a human face on the
tragedies of teen suicide and hate crimes.  These tragedies occur in a
climate of intolerance and violence fed by those who use hate speech.  His
column also continued the exposure of the Christian Broadcasting Networks
bullying attempts - he points out Rev.  Robertson's campaign to take back his
own words about gays and lesbians.

Support

Our thanks to the following for their assistance and support:

* The Washington Blade
* Ground Zero
* Todd Jennings
* Broward Log Cabin Club of Florida
* American Federation of Veterans, New York

Media Coverage

11/17 - The Washington Blade - Washington, DC - news story, interview with
Jeffrey Garrett 11/20 - Advertising Age Magazine - news story
11/20 - Austin American-Statesman, Austin, TX - editorial - fairly favorable
 commentary; did not like the creative focus of the ads
11/20 - Debra J.  Saunders - syndicated columnist - favorable column piece
11/22 - KCAL Radio - Los Angeles - news story; panel with Kathy Tully, PFLAG
 Regional Director
11/25 - NEW YORK TIMES - Frank Rich's column - news story - favorable
11/26 - KHEY AM/FM - El Paso radio stations - "Border Talk" talk show hosted
by  Dr.   Domingo Nick Reyes - program on gays and lesbians - one of the
guests was Jane Smith,  PFLAG parent and spokesperson from her Houston home
11/27 - Turner Broadcasting - nationally syndicated cable program - interview
with Mitzi  Henderson

Action Items
* Designated Project Open Mind financial contributions
* Notification of media coverage - please include name and date of
publication if faxing or mailing clips - thanks!

This concludes today's update.