Subject: POM Update 11/21
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 13:55:43 -0500

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
November 21, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE

In an effort to raise awareness of the difficulties in getting the Project
Open Mind ads on the air, due primarily to the CBN threat of legal action,
PFLAG took out a 1/2 page ad in the November 21st issue of USA Today.  The
placement was excellent - the editorial pages (the only ad on either page at
that).  

We continue to receive calls from the media around the country for
information and interviews.  Several national programs are "in the works".
 We have an important story to tell with Project Open Mind as well as the
efforts at censorship by the Christian Broadcasting Network.

We are receiving a tremendous number of suggestions as well as requests.  We
are attempting to answer each of these as fast as we can.  In the next few
weeks, PFLAG will be evaluating our progress and making decisions regarding
the continued rollout of Project Open Mind.  We will continue to keep you
updated as well.

Support

Our thanks to the following for their assistance and support:

* the Congressional offices of Reps.  Gerry Studds, John Lewis and Sheila
 Jackson Lee
* People for the American Way
* The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
* Media Access Project
* GLAAD 
* Office For Church in Society - United Church of Christ

Media Coverage

11/11 - The Boston Globe - article in TV column
11/18 - Channel 13 (ABC) - Houston - coverage of Justice for All Rally,
including
 PFLAG speakers
11/18 & 11/20 - NPR - national radio program - "All Things Considered" - news
 story and interviews with Houston PFLAG spokespersons
11/20 - Rikki Lake Show - Coming Out stories with Michaelangelo Signorile.
  PFLAG promo and trailer at end of the show
11/20 - Multi-Channel News - national cable tv trade publication - article;
interviews  with Jeffrey Garrett, PFLAG, and Alan Hyman, Insight Media
Services,  PFLAG's media buyer
11/21 - WINS Radio - Norfolk, VA - interview with Mitzi Henderson
11/21 - KCNR Radio - Salt Lake City - interview with Mitzi Henderson
11/21 - PFLAG's 1/2 page ad in USA Today - editorial page

Action Items
* Letters of support/resolutions from national, state and local
organizations/leaders in support of Project Open Mind
* Notification of media coverage 
* Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

This concludes today's update.