Subject: PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE November 17, 1995
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 20:41:27 -0500

This is being distributed through the resources of GLAAD.  If you have
further questions on PFLAG's Project Open Mind, please contact them at
[email-masked].

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE
November 17, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE:
 
Today's update includes a list of media coverage we are aware of (minus the
wire service pickups of the New York Times article last Sunday, which were
extensive and national).
In addition, we are requesting that calls to Houston television stations
cease for the time being.

PFLAG continues to appreciate the many calls, faxes and emails of support as
well as the copies of media coverage of the growing Project Open Mind story.

We are attempting print buys in the three target cities.  So far, the Houston
Chronicle and the Tulsa World have refused our ads.  PFLAG continues to be
saddened and angered at the refusal of the media in our target cities to
allow us to get our message out.  We will provide information regarding
contacting these two papers in Monday's update.

Media Coverage

11/7 - KPRC (NBC) - Houston - news story; pre-launch - negative comments
 from station manager and a professor from the Univ.  Of Houston
11/8 - WJR (ABC ) Detroit - news story; interview with Sandra Gillis, Exec.
 Dir.
11/8 - KOTV (CBS) - Tulsa - news story; interview with Nancy McDonald, PFLAG 
 Board of Directors, parent and spokesperson
11/8 - KJRH (NBC) - Tulsa - news story; interview with Kathy Hinkle, PFLAG
leader, 
 parent and spokesperson
11/8 - Tulsa World - Tulsa newspaper - news story
11/8 - KHOU (CBS) Houston - news story; coverage of Houston Press Conference
11/8 - KNWS (Ind) Houston - news story; interview with Rev.  Don Sinclair,
Bering  United Methodist Church and PFLAG parent, leader and spokesperson
11/8 - KPRC (NBC) - Houston - news story; interview with Rev.  Walter Taylor,
Dean,  Christ Church Cathedral, PFLAG spokesperson
11/8 - KRIV (Fox) - Houston - news story; interviews with Revs.  Sinclair and
Taylor
11/8 - KTRK (ABC) - Houston - news story; interview with Rev.  Sinclair
11/8 - KRVK (Ind) - Phoenix - news story; interview with Bunny Tarquinio,
PFLAG leader  and spokesperson
11/9 - KJRH (NBC) - Tulsa - news story; interview with Nancy McDonald
11/9 - KHOU (CBS) - Houston - news story
11/9 - KPRC (NBC) - Houston - news story
11/9 - Southern Voice - Atlanta gay newspaper - news story
11/9 - Houston Chronicle - Houston newspaper - news story
11/9 - KPFT Radio - Houston - news story, interview with Gail Rickey, PFLAG
parent,  leader and spokesperson
11/10 - The Washington Post - Washington, DC - news story, interview with
Jeffrey  Garrett, Project Open Mind Campaign Manager
11/10 - KLOL Radio - Houston - news story, interview with Barbara Winston,
PFLAG  parent, leader and spokesperson and Doug Upchurch, PFLAG spokesperson
11/10 - KKHT Radio - Houston - news story, interview with Jane Montgomery,
PFLAG
 parent and spokesperson and Tirey Count, PFLAG member
11/12 - New York Times - news story, wire service - picked up by major
dailies nationwide
11/13 - CBS Radio - World News Roundup - news story, interview with Mitzi
Henderson
11/13 - KVI Radio - Seattle - Mike Siegel Show - news story, interviews with
Paul Beeman,  PFLAG Board, parent and spokesperson and Marilyn Cass, PFLAG
parent, leader and  spokesperson, listener call-in
11/13 - Traverse City Record-Eagle - Traverse City, MI newspaper - news story
11/14 - WPVI-TV (ABC) - Philadelphia - panel; Sandra Gillis, Rev.  Louis
Sheldon,  Traditional Values Coalition, Deborah Leavy, ACLU, Rabbi Stephen
Wylen, Rev.   William Devlin, Philadelphia Family Policy Council
11/14 - Cable News Talk TV - NY - panel discussion including Jean Genasci,
PFLAG Vice  President, parent and spokesperson and Jeffrey Garrett, POM
Campaign Manager
11/14 - KQED FM (NPR) - San Francisco - panel discusssion; Mitzi Henderson,
PFLAG  President, Steve Hayworth, VP of PR for CNN
11/14 - KTSA AM - San Antonio - interview with Mitzi Henderson, listener
call-in
11/14 - WOR Radio Network - NY - PM American - interview with Mitzi Henderson
and 
 listener call-in
11/14 - BBC - London - interview with Mitzi Henderson, Christian Broadcasting
Network 
 would not appear
11/14 - Taylor Satellite Talk - Tulsa radio (syndicated) - Ann Williams Show
- interview
 with Kathy and Bill Hinkle and Kathryn Wood, PFLAG parents, leaders and
 spokespersons
11/15 - Tom Leykis Radio Show (syndicated) - interview with Mitzi Henderson
and Mike  Wilke of Advertising Age, listener call-in
11/15 - Atlanta Journal Constitution - Atlanta newspaper - editorial in favor
of PFLAG  position
11/15 - Public access channel - Atlanta - news story, interview with Bob
Davis, PFLAG  parent and spokesperson
11/15 - USA Today - news story, interview with Rob Banaszak, PFLAG
Communications  Director
11/16 - KPFA (Pacifica Radio) - interview with Mitzi Henderson and Marcus
Arano of  CUAV (Community United Against Violence)
11/16 - KABC Radio - Los Angeles - The Michael Jackson Show - major talk show
-  interview with Mitzi Henderson
as of November 17, 1995

Action Items:
* Suspend complaint calls to Houston television stations
* Begin calls to Tulsa World and the Houston Chronicle (we will provide
information on Monday, November 20th
* Continue to notify PFLAG of media coverage

Thank you!