Subject: 11/10/95 Update on PFLAG's Project Open Mind
From: [email-masked] (Emily Rizzo)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 20:06:29 GMT

I've just received this press release from PFLAG National Office.

Emily

PROJECT OPEN MIND UPDATE

November 9, 1995

FOR EXTERNAL USE:

Project Open Mind was launched publicly on Wednesday, Nov.  8Th, with
simultaneous press conferences in Atlanta, GA, Houston, TX, Tulsa, OK and
Washington, DC.

Attendance by the media and community organizations was strong in all 4
cities, although media attendance in Washington, DC was affected by the Colin
Powell press conference the same afternoon.

PFLAG continues its efforts to obtain media buys on television in all four
cities, but has encountered strong resistance from local television stations
who are under attack with legal threats from a Radical Right organization.  

As of close of business Thursday, Nov.  9, PFLAG has obtained media buys in
the following markets:

Tulsa - A network affiliate - three week buy ON HOLD pending decision from
the station's legal department due to threat of legal action by a Radical
Right organization.  Three week cable buy still on.

Houston - A network affiliate - three week buy ON HOLD pending decision from
the station's legal department due to threat of legal action by a Radical
Right organization.  A three week cable buy was pulled because of the threat
of legal action by the same organization.

Atlanta - no local stations would take the ads.  A three week cable buy was
pulled because of the legal threat.

Washington, DC - A network affiliate and cable - three week buy still ON.
National buy - a one-time buy on CNN's Larry King Live was pulled because of
the threat of legal action.

PFLAG continues as well to seek media coverage at the national and local
levels.  

PFLAG is aware of tv news stories in the following tv markets:

 Houston, Atlanta, Detroit and Phoenix

PFLAG is aware of print news coverage in the following cities:

 Atlanta, Houston, Tulsa

This concludes the daily update