From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 18:23:40 EDT

PFLAG: Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays

                                           Celebrating Real Family Values 

				Contact: George Neighbors, Jr.
					202-638-4200
                                                    Press Statement

                                          PFLAG STAFF GROWS BY 25%
Communications & Field Services Departments Enhanced

May 9, 1994 - Washington, DC - Two new positions were filled at the PFLAG
national office this week demonstrating the continued financial success and
commitment to member services ushered in by the Executive Director, Sandra
Gillis, who celebrates her one year of service as Director this week.

Michael Thompson, Communications Manager, will be responsible for producing,
editing and managing the publications department in addition to editing the
national quarterly newsletter, the PFLAGpole, and the affiliate newsletter,
Tips & Tactics, designed for PFLAG leaders.  Thompson's publishing experience
includes having served as managing editor for CW Communications of
Peterborough, NH and Highwire Associates of Lowell, MA.  His advocacy work
includes having served as Vice-President of the Rhode Island Alliance for
Lesbian & Gay Civil Rights, on the board of the RI Commission on HIV/AIDS,
and volunteering with Options [RI's gay newspaper], RI Pride Committee, and
RIGLY [RI Gay and Lesbian Youth].

Linda Yanney, Field Services Director, will be responsible for providing the
network's 340 affiliates with resources for fundraising, member acquisition
and retention, grassroots education and advocacy, as well as hands on
training.  Yanney's scholarly experience includes receiving her Ph.D. in
American studies from the University of Iowa, where she initiated the first
lesbian culture course in 1983, and taught courses on the history of the
labor and feminist movements.  Yanney's advocacy work includes working for
passage of the human rights ordinance in Iowa City, IA in 1976 and the Iowa
Hate Crimes Act of 1990, and later serving as a field organizer for Rev.
Jesse Jackson's presidential campaign and as Public Policy Assistant at the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

Thompson and Yanney join a staff of five others: Laura Bodenschatz, Office
Services & Human Resources Manager; Gabriela DeAnda, Administrative
Assistant; Julie Gedden, Management Associate; Sandra Gillis, Executive
Director; and George Neighbors, Jr., Public Information Associate.

                                                        - 30 -

   PFLAG: PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS
1012  14th St, NW		after 8/94:	1101 14th St, NW, 10th Flr
Ste 700, Washington, DC  20005		Washington, DC 20005
       (202)-638-4200    Fax: (202)-638-0243   E-mail: [email-masked]