Subject: HI marriage
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 14:54:59 EST

PFLAG: Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays

                Celebrating Real Family Values 
							       		                               Contact: George Neighbors, Jr.
			                          202-638-4200						       202-737-4176
                                        Press Statement

The following was in response to a letter sent by national PFLAG president
Mitzi Henderson to Baron Hilton of Hilton Hotels in regard to the Hawaiian
marriage events.
*****************************************************************
							 February 14, 1994

Via FAX (202/638-0243)
Ms. Mitzi Henderson
President
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
1012 14th St, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005

Dear Ms. Henderson:

Due to Mr. Hilton's extensive travel schedule, your letter dated February 9
was forwarded to me.  We appreciate your interest and respect your position
regarding the recent legislative hearings in Hawaii concerning same gender
marriages.

Our Hilton hotels have and always will provide service to people from all
walks of life regardless of race, color or sexual orientation.  We are and
have been ardent supporters of civil rights.  We hope this response will
satisfy your inquiry.  Attached is a fact sheet that may help clarify this
situation.

Sincerely,
Carl T. Mottek
President, Hilton Hotels	

cc:	Baron Hilton
*****************************************************************
                                       Hilton Hotel Corporation
                                             Fact Sheet

1.It has been alleged that Mr. Huckestein is responsible for creating an
"atmosphere of intolerance."

UNTRUE.	Mr. Huckerstein, in his role as HVB Chairman, was asked by a member
of the Judiciary to submit letters to this issue... nothing more.  He
complied with this request through his presentation.

2.It has been alleged that Mr. Huckerstein and, by extension, Hilton Hotels
Corporation, have been responsible for "anti-gay" actions.

UNTRUE.	This issues at hand is a very specific one that is being carefully
considered by the Hawaii Legislature.  Others have mistakenly and negligently
taken the opportunity to misrepresent this issue in a broader context.  The
fact is that Hilton Hotels Corporation has a history of welcoming all guests
regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.  The same holds
true for the company's employment policies.

3.It has been threatened by certain groups that they may "organize against
this situation."

FACT.	If these groups wish to participate in the democratic process of
lobbying against proposed legislation, they should do so through appropriate
avenues, as opposed to carelessly attacking an organization or corporation
whose won views on this issue have not been expressed and who simply
responded to a government body's request for information.

2/11/94
           ************************************************************
PFLAG: Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays
                Celebrating Real Family Values 
										          February 9, 1994

Mr. Baron Hilton, Chair and CEO
The Hilton Hotel Corporation
World Headquarters
9336 Civic Center Dr.
POB 5567
Beverly Hills, CA 90209
F: 310-205-4001

Dear Mr. Hilton:

As the mother of a gay son and the national president of PFLAG, I am
concerned by the statements made before the Hawaiian senate by Hilton Hotel
Regional Senior Vice-President, Dieter Huckestein.

Mr. Huckestein stated that same-sex marriage would be damaging to Hawaiian
tourism.  In addition, a Hilton spokesperson, when questioned about Mr.
Huckestein's testimony, stated that Hilton is supportive of it employees who
are active in "company relations" and will not be conducting an investigation
into Huckestein's activities.  The spokesperson continued by saying that
Huckestein was acting properly and that his actions were "industry related."

Our organization is concerned that the Hilton Hotel Corporation appears to
feel "company relations" includes supporting anti-gay legislation.  What is
the position of the corporation regarding gay and lesbian persons in regard
to:

1. Employment and benefits for gay and lesbians employees of Hilton Hotel    
         Corporation
2. Acceptance of gays, lesbians and their families as patrons.

I appreciate your time and consideration and await your prompt response.

Sincerely,
Mitzi Henderson
President

    PFLAG: PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS
     1012  14th Street, NW  Suite 700, Washington, DC  20005
(202)-638-4200    Fax: (202)-638-0243   E-mail: [email-masked]