Subject: July 4th Parade
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 15:22:41 -0400

With all the talk about PFLAG marching in parades, I thought you would all
like to know that PFLAG marched in the San Mateo County (Ca.) July 4th Parade
in Redwood City.  There were 75 marchers.  Out of 223 floats, PFLAG came in
third place.  We were really senstational, wearing purple pflag sashes and
singing "We are the people (families, parents, teachers, nurses, etc.) in
your neighborhood (that song from Sesame Street).  Banners included our PFLAG
banner of course, a rainbow flag, an American flag and a flag of the earth.
 We were enthusiastically applauded.  "This is definitely the next step after
pride parades," one admirer said.  "We are the people in the neighborhood and
it's important for everyone to know that.  It's also important to note that
all PFLAG had to do was ask to be in the parade.  There were five stations
along the 1.5 mile parade route that announced the entries and we were
welcomed graciously at each one.  What stands out the most for me, is seeing
a very pregnant woman watching with a hand on her belly.  I felt good knowing
that she knew what I didn't know 29 years ago - that she might give birth to
a little gay or lesbian or bisexual baby.  The children watching the parade
also must have recognized that they had gay and lesbian people in their
neighborhood.  Consider asking to march in your communities next year.
 Thanks.  Laura