Subject: PFLAG News: List of Conference Events
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:56:09 -0400

*  *  *   PFLAG News Release   *  *  *

For Release: April 12, 2000
Contact: Jay Heavner, 202.467.8180 x213, [email-masked]

List of Events:
PFLAG's Family Events During the 
Millennium March on Washington

With 441 chapters and affiliates around the country, Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is the family for equal rights for gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people.  More than any other group,
PFLAG mobilizes straight allies-moms, dads, grandparents, siblings, family
and friends-to support the rights, health and wellbeing of our GLBT loved
ones.  

PFLAG has a number of events scheduled the week of the Millennium March on
Washington.

Highlights include an Apple Pie lobby day; a workshop by the Catholic
Church's most outspoken supporter of gay rights, Bishop Thomas Gumbleton;
and an appearance by actress Stockard Channing, who will star as the mother
of a young lesbian in "Jane's Coming Out Story," to air on Lifetime in
August. 

What:	Apple Pie Baking, Sponsored by HERO Magazine
When: 	Wednesday, April 26, 7:00 p.m.
Where:	New York Avenue Presbyterian Church
Who:	Mary Lee Macintosh and more than 35 other PFLAG cooks from around
the country. 
Why:	The next day members of PFLAG will deliver apple pies to members of
Congress.  Many of PFLAG's leaders are parents, family members and friends
of GLBT people.  "We know our GLBT loved ones are just as wholesome as Mom,
Dad, and apple pie."
Photo op:	PFLAG moms, dads, families and friends baking pies.

What:	Apple Pie Lobby Day
When: 	Thursday, April 27, 2:00 p.m.
Where:	Meet us with our pies outside the Rayburn Building at Independence
Avenue and South Capitol Street SW
Who:	The orginial apple pie lobbyist, Susan Stanskas, and more than 80
PFLAG activists from more than 25 states
Why:	Frustrated by her state legislator's refusal to meet with her, Susan
Stanskas of 	Fredericksburg, VA baked an apple pie to deliver to him.
When, presented with the pie, he finally met with her.  Today, PFLAG
continues the tradition.  
Photo op:	PFLAG moms, dads, families and friends standing with pies in
front of the Capitol.

What:	Youth and Education Institute
When: 	Friday, April 28, 2:00p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Where:	Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA
Who:	Susan Carmel, co-founder of the first GLBT Parent Teacher Student
Association (PTSA) in the country, based in Seattle, WA
Joann Elder, member of the Madison WI Metropolitan School District, Board of
Education
Carolyn Laub, member, San Francisco Unified School District LGBTQ Youth
Monitoring Committee and the Founder and Director of the Bay Area GSA
Network.
Luis Torres, middle school teacher and Co-chair of GLSEN-Orange County
	More than 125 youth leaders and adult leaders from around the
country.
Why:	97 percent of all youth in high schools regularly hear homophobic
remarks. 53% of all kids hear homophobic remarks from high school personnel.
Studies consistently find that gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered
(GLBT) youth are two to six times more likely to attempt suicide than other
youth.  PFLAG's Safe Schools program, implemented by more than 80 locations
last year, with more than 800 presentation nationwide, brings parents of
GLBT youth  and their kids together with school personnel.  

What:	Plenary featuring Tipper Gore
When: 	Friday, April 28, 7:00p.m.-11:00 p.m.
Where:	Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA
Who:	Tipper Gore, Keynote Speaker

What:	Conference, PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality
When: 	Friday, April 29, 7:30p.m.-11:30 p.m.
	Saturday, April 30, 8:45a.m.-11:30 p.m.
Where:	Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA
Who:	More than 650 PFLAG activists from around the country.
Why:	PFLAG's 17th Conference comes at a critical time in the GLBT
movement.  Same-gender marriage, adoption by openly gay people and other
family-oriented issues are the cutting edge issues of the day.  As the
family voice for GLBT rights, PFLAG will be at key voice in the debate over
these and other issues.

What:	Pro-Gay Catholic Bishop Speaks Out
When: 	Saturday, April 29, 8:45a.m. - 10 a.m.
Where:	Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA
Who:	Bishop Thomas G. Gumbleton, Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit
Why:	Bishop Gumbleton has been the Catholic Church's most outspoken
supporter of the inclusion and embracing of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
transgendered (GLBT) Catholics. 

What:	Awards Banquet with Stockard Channing
When: 	Saturday, April 29, 7:30-11:30 p.m.
Where:	Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA
Who:	Actress Stockard Channing
	Judy Shepard and Dennis Shepard

What:	PFLAG Contingent at the Millennium March on Washington
When: 	Sunday, April 30, 10:00 a.m.-noon	
Where:	On the Ellipse and on the parade route
Who:	Hundreds-perhaps thousands-of PFLAG members
Photo op:	Look for the PFLAG folks wearing red PFLAG T-shirts

		#  #  #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430+
communities in the U.S.

1726 M St. NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036
  phone: 202-467-8180  fax: 202-467-8194
  Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
  email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~