Subject: PFLAG Conference Watch #2
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:02:45 -0500

Conference Watch: February 18, 2000
"PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality"
April 28-30, 2000; Washington, DC

"It was overwhelming to see the number of parents attending Conference in
support of their gay and lesbian children.  If only the rest of the world
could have seen what we did...such a positive event.  It is a memory that
will remain with us for the rest of our lives."

- PFLAGers who attended PFLAG's
 1996 National Conference in Washington, DC

With the countdown at 70 days until PFLAG's first National Conference in
more than two years, plans continue to promise a weekend packed with unique
and useful events for the entire PFLAG Family - from chapter leaders to
allies; from parents to GLBT people.

This edition of Conference Watch includes information on newly confirmed
speakers, contests, and upcoming deadlines, as well as announcements about
PFLAG events before, during and after the conference.  Conference sponsors
include American Airlines, IBM, Coors Brewing Company, HERO Magazine,
American Express Financial Advisors, PlanetOut, Gay.com, The Advocate and
the Gay Financial Network (gfn.com).

1.	Speakers & Presenters - Special appearances confirmed
2.	Scholarships - Deadline Extended! Applications due Feb. 22
3.	Announcement - Apple Pie Recipe Contest continues
4.	Housing - Community housing and alternate hotels available
5.	Airfare - Fly free to the National Conference
6.	Schedule & Workshops -  Exciting events and workshops planned 
7.	Contests - You could win special prizes
8.	Millennium March on Washington - PFLAG co-sponsors "Family Garden"
9.	Exhibits & Ad Sales - Raise your profile 

1. Speakers & Presenters - Special appearances confirmed

	PFLAGers everywhere are excited that actress Stockard Channing will
be appearing at "PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality." Channing is an
award-winning actress and will be starring in the Lifetime Television
original movie, Jane's Coming Out Party, about a mother who learns her
daughter is a lesbian, scheduled to air in August.
	Other notable personalities expected to participate in the
conference include Dennis & Judy Shepard; Jimmy Creech, the Methodist
minister punished by his church for performing same-sex holy unions; former
Rep. Steve Gunderson (R-WI); Catholic Bishop Thomas Gumbleton; and Rep.
Barney Frank (D-MA).

	
2. Scholarships - Deadline Extended! Applications due Feb. 22

	The deadline for scholarship applications has been extended.
Scholarship applications are due February 22, 2000, and awardees will be
notified by February 28, 2000. PFLAG will award scholarships for conference
registration to one person per region, and to others if additional funds are
available. (Recipients are responsible for making all arrangements for
lodging and should be aware that hotels are likely to fill up early.)  To
nominate someone or apply yourself, send a one-page letter answering the
following questions:

	Are you/they an at-large PFLAG member, chapter member or a potential
member?
	How long have you/they been a PFLAG member?
	Why did you/they join PFLAG?
	Describe how you/they work with the PFLAG chapter.
	How will you/they and the chapter benefit from attending the
conference?

	Please include your name, address and telephone number.  Send
nominations to:

	PFLAG Conference Scholarship Fund
	1726 M Street, NW, Suite 400
	Washington, DC 20036
	Fax to: 202-467-8194; E-mail to: [email-masked]

3. Announcement - Apple Pie Recipe Contest Continues

	On Wednesday evening, April 26, dozens of PFLAG Families and Friends
will gather to bake apple pies, which will be delivered to members of
Congress during PFLAG's Lobby Day, Thursday afternoon, April 27.
	Last year, a PFLAG Mom in Virginia was having trouble scheduling an
appointment with a conservative state legislator.  So she showed up with a
home-baked apple pie.  He couldn't resist meeting with her.  Now, her
wonderful idea will be replicated nationally - with celebrity PFLAG Families
pitching in to help bake.
	Leading up to what promises to be an unforgettable evening, PFLAG is
soliciting apple pie recipes from families nationwide.  Please send your
family's recipe to:

			PFLAG Apple Pie Recipe Contest
			1726 M St., NW, Suite 400
			Washington, DC 20036
			Fax: 202-467-8194; E-mail to: [email-masked]

Many thanks to HERO Magazine, PFLAG's Apple Pie Event Media Partner

4. Housing - Community housing and alternate hotels available

PFLAG Washington, DC/Metropolitan Area is coordinating community housing for
the conference.  For more information about housing options with local
PFLAGers, contact Joyce Goodman of PFLAG/Metro DC at 703/354-3794.
"PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality" will be held at the Crystal Gateway
Marriott (1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA, 800-228-9290).  Rooms at
the Crystal Gateway are limited, so be sure to secure your reservations
there or at a nearby hotel soon.  Visit www.pflag.org for more hotel
information and a listing of alternate hotels.

5. Airfare - Fly free to the National Conference

	Any PFLAG delegation that includes 30 people flying to the
conference on PFLAG's official airline, American Airlines, will receive one
free American Airlines flight voucher.  The delegation doesn't have to be
from the same chapter, but they do all need to be traveling to the
conference.  All members of the delegation must use the following code when
booking conference flights on American Airlines: S3940UC.  Call
1-800-433-1790 to take advantage of this offer and receive a discount on
your fare.  
	Delegations are encouraged to use the free flight to send someone
else to conference.  To do so, submit a list of the 30-member delegation by
March 10, 2000, to PFLAG's Field staff.  For a listing of Field staff
serving your area, call 202-467-8180, or go to
http://www.pflag.org/works/staff/staffm.html.

6. Schedule & Workshops - Exciting events planned

	PFLAG's conference officially begins Friday, April 28, but PFLAG
members and allies from all over are arriving early for exciting
pre-conference events starting Wednesday, April 26. Conference events
include the following:  

Wednesday 4/26	Apple pie baking 

Thursday 4/27		Lobby day 

Friday 4/28		Youth and Education Institute (afternoon)
			Plenary Session (evening)

Saturday 4/29		Workshops*, Cyber Café, Exhibit Hall (all day)
			Awards Banquet & Dance (evening)

Sunday 4/30		Faith Celebration, Special Membership Meeting
(morning)
			Millennium March on Washington

	 * More than 45 workshops are scheduled for Saturday, April 29.
Topics include a range of support, education and advocacy oriented sessions.
Scheduled workshop topics include support group facilitation, organizing
families in communities of color, difficult family issues, grandparent's
issues, cyberactivism, public speaking, and fighting the radical right
effectively. 
	Presenters include nationally-recognized experts, leaders of
chapters with successful programs, and representatives of leading national
GLBT and mainstream groups.

7.  Contest - You could win special prizes

At the conference, prizes will be awarded to: (1) the chapter with the
highest  percentage of its members in attendance: (2) the chapter with the
most members in attendance; (3) the person who came the farthest to attend
the conference; and (4) the largest family (in the broad sense of the word)
contingent.

8. Millennium March on Washington - PFLAG co-sponsors "Family Garden" 

	Plans continue to come together for the Millennium March on
Washington. Over a million people are expected to join the March in a show
of support for GLBT rights.  PFLAGers will be there in full force on Sunday,
April 30, adding our family voices to this national event. 
	PFLAG, in collaboration with The Family Pride Coalition and Children
of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE), will produce what promises to be
the largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender family event ever held at
our nation's capitol - a child-friendly Family Garden.  Thousands of GLBT
parents, children, aunts, uncles and grandparents will gather in the Family
Garden during the MMOW Rally. 
	Sponsored by GAY.COM, a leading provider of interactive services for
the gay and lesbian community, the Family Garden will have space for picnics
and play, as well as activity areas for children of all ages.  The Family
Garden is based on the hugely successful Children's Garden that has come to
be a tradition at many Pride Festivals throughout the country.
          The Family Garden will provide families with safe and engaging
activities.  There will be toys for toddlers, crafts for children, team
building for adolescents and a special teen area. Colorful clowns and
characters will roam the entire Garden area, and families will be
entertained with magic, science, music and puppet shows.  Diaper-changing
stations, family first aid, a children's "potty area" and a breast-feeding
tent will also be available.
	The Family Garden will be contained in a special section of
Washington, DC's National Mall.  Families are asked to arrive by 8:30am to
avoid the massive crowds created by the march portion of the event.  For
more information on the activities scheduled for the Family Garden or to
volunteer, contact Family Pride at (619) 296-0199 or email
[email-masked].

9. Exhibits & Ad Sales - Raise your profile

	Conference attendees look to exhibitors for merchandise,
information, business tips, chapter resources, networking opportunities.
Exhibiting at "Family Voices for Equality" is the perfect way to reach
PFLAG's diverse membership during this historic time. Current exhibitors
include PFLAG chapters from Columbus, Hartford and Washignton, DC, Cruise
Holidays, Heart Strong, Family Diversity Projects, More Light Presbytarians,
Signs of Pride and In The Family Magazine. To include your name on this list
visit www.pflag.org for more information and a registration form, or contact
Beth McKew at [email-masked].
	Additionally, if you are interested in placing an ad in the
conference program book, visit www.pflag.org or contact Heather Wright
([email-masked]) for more details and an ad rate card.  

"As a lesbian member of PFLAG in Florida, I look forward to your conferences

and the wonderful opportunities they offer."
- Eager conference registrant for
"PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality"

To register for "PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality" call 202-467-8180 x213
for a registration form.  To register online, go to:
http://www.pflag.org/confreg.html.

PFLAG · 1726 M Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036 · ph: 202-467-8180
Fax: 202-467-8194 · email: [email-masked] · http://www.pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To unsubscribe from PFLAG's alerts, please send email,
subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]. Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~