Subject: Job Opening at PFLAG - Communications Director
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:08:33 -0500

******* Job Opening at PFLAG *******

Title:		Communications Director	
Reports To:	Executive Director, National PFLAG Office
	
General Responsibilities: Oversees organization's visibility and public
education efforts. Develops and implements strategies to vastly improve
media profile, online presence and publications quality.

Specific Responsibilities: 
1. Positions organization as a leading voice - at local, regional and
national levels - on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered issues and
family issues in general, as well as on specific subjects pursuant to goals
and plans established by the National Board of Directors. 

2. Builds and strengthens relationships with journalists, and serves as the
point-of-contact for communicating with media. 

3. Supports and resources local and regional communications efforts,
including media relations and publications programs. 
	
4. Oversees organization's national publications program, including content
development, production and marketing. (Publications include quarterly
membership newspaper, annual reports, new or revised educational
publications, conference materials, etc.) 
	
5. Supervises the development of the organization's web site, and positions
the organization as a key source of online support, information and advocacy
options. 
	
6. Manages and maximizes Communications Department staff, and oversees
contracts with relevant consultants, service providers and vendors. 
	
7. Develops annual workplan and budget for Communications Department. 
	
8. Participates as a member of the organization's staff management team,
working with other senior staff members and the Executive Director. 

Qualifications: 
*	Proven ability to develop and implement strategic communications
efforts. 
*	Extraordinary management skills with a team-oriented approach. 
*	Excellent writing, editing and proofing abilities. 
*	Journalism degree, or equivalent, with experience in
journalism/media relations. 
*	Well-organized and innovative, with ability to work on deadline. 
*	Solid connections with relevant journalists and/or organizations. 
*	Experience with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered issues, a
plus. 
*	Experience with grassroots membership organization, a plus. 

Please send resume/cover letter to: 
PFLAG, 1726 M St., NW Suite 400 
Washington, DC 20036 
(fax: 202-467-8194) 
or [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays (PFLAG) is committed to fair
employment practices and equal employment opportunity regardless of race,
color, creed, religion, national origin/ancestry, age, sex, disability,
marital status, personal appearance, matriculation at a college, political
affiliation, gender identity or sexual orientation. 

posted 2/15/00 - please distribute widely