Subject: PFLAG Assails Court Decision to Exclude Gay Scouts & Leaders
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:04:03 -0400

*   *   *   PFLAG Press Release   *   *   *

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE					
June 28, 2000						
Contact: Amy Kobeta (202) 467-8180 x 228

PFLAG ASSAILS COURT DECISION TO EXCLUDE GAY SCOUTS & LEADERS

Washington, DC - Disappointed by the United States Supreme Court's vote
against gays participating in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), members of
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) spoke out today
in support of James Dale.  PFLAG, along with several other national
organizations that are dedicated to the best interests of youth, had filed
an amici curiae on Dale's behalf.

"We of PFLAG, who are the parents, families and friends of gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender people nationwide, are disappointed and angry that
our loved ones are now prevented access to a place in the ranks of
Scouting," said Paul Beeman, President of PFLAG.  "I was once proud to have
been a Boy Scout, counseled in Boy Scout camps, and organized two troops.
But since my own gay son daughter would now be excluded, I can no longer
support their work."

In BSA v. James Dale, the Supreme Court voted 5-4 to deny gay and bisexual
youth and leaders the opportunity to participate in BSA, one of America's
long-standing traditions.  

In the amici curiae, PFLAG argued that excluding gays and bisexuals from BSA
perpetuates hatred and violence toward gays and bisexuals; and that BSA
would best serve our communities by teaching openness, honesty, and
acceptance.  "Discrimination against gays by leading organizations in the
community such as BSA is directly and indirectly responsible for creating a
climate of harassment and violence...[T]he hatred, shame, violence, and
self-destructive behavior caused by BSA's exclusion of gays violates the
traditional Boy Scout values of honesty, friendliness, kindness and fair
play, and BSA's stated mission to nurture the development of all boys."

Kirsten Kingdon, PFLAG Executive Director, called on the BSA to live up to
its time-honored values and listen to those within and without the BSA.  "If
the BSA had successfully embodied its ideals of kindness and tolerance
toward all, Matthew Shepard might still be alive today.  One of his killers,
an Eagle Scout, might have learned that it is not OK to hate people because
of their sexual orientation." 

PFLAG Board member, Gary Watts, noted that BSA's religious justifications to
exclude gay and bisexual members are just excuses.  

"The Mormon Church threatened to withdraw from the Boy Scouts if the
organization was forced to include gays in leadership positions.  The
message from Church leadership is unmistakable: gays are not acceptable.
The Church's position taken to its logical conclusion suggests that no gay
person, regardless of his qualification, should serve in a leadership
position."

Watts is an original member of Family Fellowship, an organization that
provides support and education for Mormon family and friends of gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.  Family Fellowship has over 1,400
families in their membership.

The National 4-H Council; National Education Association; National Youth
Advocacy Coalition; Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network; National
Association for Multicultural Education; and the Matthew Shepard Foundation
joined PFLAG in the amici curiae.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families and friends through support, education and advocacy.  Serving
nearly 80,000 members and supporters, PFLAG's 444 chapters and affiliates
are located in communities across the United States.

 	#	#	#

1726 M Street, N.W.,
Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 467-8180  Fax: (202) 467-8194
E-mail [email-masked]  Web: http://pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert List, send
an email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~