Subject: PFLAG News: White House Vetoes Bill for Lack of Hate Crime Law
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:38:18 -0400

For Immediate Release: October 26, 1999			
Contact: Eric Ferrero, 202-638-4200 x212

As White House Vetoes Measure for Lack of Hate Crime Law,
PFLAG Steps Up Unique Grassroots Work to Ensure Safety

	This afternoon - as the White House vetoed an appropriations bill in
part because it did not include a strengthened federal hate crime law -
families nationwide announced increased efforts to pass the legislation,
which has gained tremendous public support in the last year.

	"We are grateful for the White House's leadership and commitment.
Today's veto sends a clear message to Congress: It's time to protect all
Americans," said Rev. Paul Beeman, National President of Parents, Families
and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.  Beeman, a retired United Methodist
minister of 40 years, has four adult children - including a gay son and a
lesbian daughter.  

	PFLAG members in literally every Congressional District in America
have written, called and directly lobbied for hate crime legislation. The
U.S. Senate passed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act (HCPA) earlier this year
as an amendment to an appropriations bill.  Since the House did not act on
the legislation, it was negotiated in Conference Committee.  The bill died
last week, when none of the Committee's members - including the bill's
original cosponsors - took responsibility to raise the issue during a final
hearing.  Clinton listed several reasons for vetoing the Congress, State,
Justice Appropriations Bill today, including the absence of HCPA.

	As it did last week, PFLAG vowed today to press ahead educating
lawmakers and the public - particularly people of faith - about HCPA.  The
bill would expand federal law to include hate crimes based on sexual
orientation, disability and gender.  It also would have strengthened efforts
to address crimes based on race, religion and national origin.  

	"As fair-minded families work tirelessly for this law, we are deeply
disturbed that politically-motivated leaders of some right-wing groups have
so vehemently opposed it.  These groups claim to represent families and
people of faith, but clearly they do not," said Beeman, who discussed hate
crimes with some of the nations' most prestigious faith leaders at the White
House Prayer Breakfast last month.  "Many ordinary people of faith - without
any political agenda - are profoundly concerned about bias-motivated
violence.  We will work with them - as well as people of color, disabled
people and others - to ensure that every American can live free of fear,
intimidation and violence."

	Last week, PFLAG announced plans to reach out to members of Focus on
the Family, Family Research Council and other right-wing groups, inviting
them to join PFLAG.  "We're putting a stop to these far-right groups
shrouding their extremism in the guise of 'family.'  Already, we've seen a
positive response," said PFLAG Executive Director Kirsten Kingdon, who has a
gay son.  "Americans don't want fringe politics.  They want their friends,
families and neighbors to be safe.  This veto moves us one big step closer."

###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 425+
communities in the U.S.