Subject: PFLAG Alert: PFLAG Unveils Hate Crimes Research
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:46:39 -0400

*  *  *   PFLAG News Release   *  *  * 

For Immediate Release October 5, 1999
Contact: Eric Ferrero  202-638-4200 x212

Days Before Shepard Murder Anniversary, PFLAG Unveils
Research, Calls Hate Crimes 'Moral and Family Issue'

	As the nation prepares to mark the one-year anniversary of the death
of Matthew Shepard - a tragedy which galvanized public opinion behind legal
protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (g/l/b/t) people,
and which coincides with National Coming Out Day - families stepped up their
calls today for the newly-reconvened Congress to pass hate crime
legislation.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) today released
"Hate Crimes Hurt Families," unprecedented material documenting the broad
impact of bias-motivated crime.  PFLAG also recently distributed a letter
from Matthew Shepard's mother, Judy, to schools nationwide.  Mrs. Shepard
asked administrators to ensure that students do not learn the "dangerous
lesson" of intolerance that killed her son.

"If Congress can't pass hate crime legislation now, then when?  How many
more mothers have to lose their kids?" asked PFLAG Executive Director
Kirsten Kingdon, who has a gay son.  "Enough is enough.  This is a family
issue and a moral issue, plain and simple, and our families will not rest
until our loved ones are safe."

The U.S. Senate passed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act earlier this year as
an amendment to the Commerce-State-Justice Appropriations Bill.  Since the
House did not act on hate crime legislation, it is being negotiated in
Conference Committee.  President Clinton has said he will sign the Hate
Crimes Prevention Act if it reaches his desk.  The bill would strengthen
existing federal hate crime laws by allowing the U.S. Dept. of Justice to
assist in local prosecutions and, where appropriate, to investigate and
prosecute cases in which violence occurs because of the victim's sexual
orientation, disability or gender.  The bill would also strengthen efforts
to address hate crimes based on race, religion and national origin.

Last week, Rev. Paul Beeman, PFLAG's National President, was among 100 of
the nation's foremost spiritual leaders gathered to discuss hate crimes at
the White House Religious Leaders Breakfast.  After the breakfast, a
half-dozen faith leaders met with key Administration officials to further
discuss hate crime prevention.

"This meeting was historic because, finally, America had a chance to see the
truth about hate crimes," said Beeman, who has a gay son and a lesbian
daughter.  "For too long, these issues have been debated in a context of
families and religious people versus gay-supportive people.  The truth is
that this bill would strengthen the law dealing with religious-based hate
crimes, as well.  And the truth is many g/l/b/t people and their families
are people of faith - and we are appalled by all bias-motivated crime that
is intended to intimidate entire groups."

For National Coming Out Day (Oct. 11) Kingdon urged all Americans to come
out in support of g/l/b/t people - and particularly to voice their support
of the Hate Crimes Prevention Act.  "While we have this wonderful day to
encourage people to be open and honest about who they are, we have no way to
tell them that they will be protected in their communities," Kingdon said.

Understanding the broader impact of hate crimes is key to bringing about
lasting change, Kingdon said, which is why PFLAG released "Hate Crimes Hurt
Families" now.  The Issue Paper draws on academic research, as well as the
profound personal experiences of PFLAG's vast membership.  Among its
highlights:

-	A chilling first-person account from an Illinois mother who was
terrorized by anti-gay youth because her teenage son is gay.  In addition to
vandalism of the family's home and car, a Molotov cocktail bomb was thrown
into their front yard, and the mother was shot at in her kitchen.

-	Research on the lasting psychological effects of anti-gay hate
crimes, which are shown to have a much more negative impact on victims than
other crimes.

-	Information on the direct impact anti-gay hate crimes have on
families, including psychological, emotional, physical and financial
effects. 

-	Examples and suggestions of how families are shaping the debate on
hate crimes, and how every family can help pass the Hate Crimes Prevention
Act.

The Issue Paper is now available online at www.pflag.org, or can be ordered
by calling PFLAG at 202-638
4200, x213.  PFLAG's web site also includes in-depth information and
analysis on hate crimes, and a section debunking myths about hate crime
legislation.  Judy Shepard's Open Letter to School Administrators is also
available online.  Throughout October, PFLAG will announce additional
resources and opportunities to learn more about families and hate crimes.

In the meantime, Kingdon said PFLAG will continue working - with one of the
most diverse national legislative coalitions ever assembled - to pass the
Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

"I have met parents who travel hundreds of miles to parole board hearings,
years after their children were attacked.  I have seen families who were
shot at in their homes and chased on highways, simply because someone in the
family is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered," Kingdon said.  "Hate
crimes are a stain on our cherished American tradition of embracing and
appreciating diversity.  Congress has both an opportunity and an obligation
to take a stand on an issue of great importance to families nationwide."

Note to Editors: 	- The "Hate Crimes Hurt Families" Issue Paper and
Judy Shepard's letter to schools are available via fax or e-mail.  
	- Interviews with PFLAG leaders and members in Ft. Collins,
Colorado, (where Matthew Shepard will be remembered this weekend) are
available.
	- Interviews with families impacted by hate crimes can be arranged.
	For more information, call Eric Ferrero at 202-638-4200, x212, or
e-mail [email-masked].

		#  #  #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430+
communities in the U.S. 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~