Subject: PFLAG News Alert: Schmitz Conviction is a Victory for Families
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:12:19 -0400

August 26, 1999							
Contact: Eric Ferrero 202-638-4200 x212

 Schmitz Conviction is a Victory for Families;
Group Calls Verdict a 'Clear Rejection of Victim-Blaming'

	Today's second-degree murder conviction of Jonathan Schmitz sends a
critical message to perpetrators of hate crimes, according to Parents,
Families and Friends of Lesbains and Gays (PFLAG).  Schmitz, who killed
Scott Amedure after a taping of the "Jenny Jones" show in 1995, sought a
lesser conviction because, he claimed, Amedure pursued him.

	"Hate crimes send messages to entire communities.  With its verdict,
this jury sent a message back: No matter what their excuse, people who
murder based on prejudice will be punished," said PFLAG Executive Director
Kirsten Kingdon. 

	Although the Schmitz case has been dubbed "The Jenny Jones Trial,"
it was actually about hate and homophobia, Kingdon said.  "This was never
about talk shows.  This was about one man's homophobia, which was brought to
light in the most tragic way by a scheduled appearance on national
television."

	Kingdon noted that "hate crimes hurt families and entire
communities."  Many PFLAG members have been the victims of hate crimes, and
many have even lost family members to anti-gay murders.  

	"We hope this verdict brings an end to the Amedure family's
four-year ordeal," Kingdon said.  "No family should suffer the loss they
did, and they have handled themselves with grace and dignity in the face of
intense public scrutiny of their beloved son's life.  We stand with them,
and ask all Americans to respect their privacy."

	In the wake of the verdict, PFLAG again called on Congress to pass
the Hate Crimes Prevention Act (HCPA), which President Clinton has said he
will sign.  The Senate passed the measure in July, and will negotiate its
fate with the House in upcoming Conference Committee meetings.  The HCPA
would add gender, disability and sexual orientation to existing federal hate
crime laws. 

 #   #   #
 Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
 health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their
 families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving nearly
 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 425+
communities
 in the U.S.

 1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~