Subject: PFLAG News: Advocates Hail Historic Education Collaboration
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:38:55 -0500

NEWS RELEASE
EMBARGOED FOR A.M. RELEASE
TUESDAY, NOV. 23, 1999

Contact:
Jim Anderson, GLSEN,  212-727-0135 / Pgr. 888-869-6512
Rea Carey, NYAC, 202-319-7596 / Pgr. 888-694-7172
Eric Ferrero, PFLAG,  202-638-4200, x212

ADVOCATES HAIL EDUCATION, HEALTH, MENTAL HEALTH GROUPS FOR UNPRECEDENTED
COLLABORATIVE EFFORT IN SUPPORT OF LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL STUDENTS

First-of-its-kind Publication Urges Educators to Support Lesbian, Gay and
Bisexual Students, Reject 'Ex-Gay' Messages

NEW YORK, NEW YORK (23 November 1999) - A publication released today by an
unprecedented coalition of the nation's leading education, health and mental
health organizations strongly urges educators and school administrators to
better understand sexual orientation development, support lesbian, gay and
bisexual students, and reject efforts to bring "ex-gay" messages into the
nation's schools.  The initiative was greeted with great approval by a
number of national organizations which advocate on behalf of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender youth.

The publication, Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth, was
mailed this week to over 15,000 school district superintendents across the
country. Prompted by concerns that school personnel were receiving
inaccurate information on the issue of sexual orientation and how to address
it best with students, the coalition began meeting in November 1998 to
produce the document. The coalition included the American Academy of
Pediatrics, American Counseling Association, American Association of School
Administrators, American Federation of Teachers, American Psychological
Association, American School Health Association, The Interfaith Alliance
Foundation, National Association of School Psychologists, National
Association of Social Workers, and the National Education Association.

In hailing this effort, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network
(GLSEN)-the largest national organization working to end anti-gay bias in
K-12 schools- as well as the National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC), and
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) noted that never
before have so many mainstream national organizations come together to
provide educators with information about sexual orientation development and
youth, with the goal of supporting lesbian, gay and bisexual students.

"Our nation's educators have been struggling for too long with too little
information about sexual orientation development and youth-and this has
taken a heavy toll on the health and well-being of lesbian, gay and bisexual
students. Educating the educators is a necessary and much-welcomed step in
the right direction," said GLSEN Executive Director Kevin Jennings. "This
breakthrough publication and the unprecedented coalition behind it will help
lead to the day in which isolation and in-school harassment will become the
exception, rather than the rule, for these youth."

NYAC Executive Director Rea Carey stated, "Gay, lesbian and bisexual
students now have a new tool to enhance their ability to gain support in the
school environment. The unprecedented leverage of this powerful body of
national mainstream education and health organizations will go far in
ensuring a safer school day for thousands of students. It is our hope that
the collective voice of these organizations will ring through the hallways
and playgrounds of our nation's schools. The next time a student is
wondering if he or she is bisexual, or the next time a young lesbian gets
attacked, I hope the person to whom they turn to is someone who has read
this publication."

"Every day, I talk to other families who have a gay, lesbian, bisexual or
transgendered child, just as I do. We know our loved ones face unspeakable
harassment and violence at school -- and we know that, with information and
resources, schools can do a better job of ensuring that all students are
safe," added PFLAG Executive Director Kirsten Kingdon. "This unprecedented
publication is precisely the kind of factual, objective material our schools
badly need. While it is long overdue, we are grateful that schools will now
have this information. Families nationwide stand ready to help make sure it
is put to good use."

PFLAG chapters will receive a free copy of "Just the Facts About Sexual
Orientation and Youth."  Others can order from GLSEN, at 212-727-0135 x136. 

-30-

The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) is the largest
national organization fighting to end anti-gay bias in America's K-12
schools. Through its network of 85 chapters, and by providing resources to
over 500 high school-based gay-straight student alliances, GLSEN works to
ensure that all students, regardless of sexual orientation and gender
identity, have access to safe and respectful learning environments. Visit
www.glsen.org.

The National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC) is the only national
organization solely focused on advocacy, education, and information
addressing the broad range of issues facing gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
transgender youth. NYAC works to end discrimination against these young
people and to ensure their physical and emotional well being. NYAC
represents the interests of GLBT youth and the over 500 organizations
nationwide providing support services to GLBT youth.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families and friends through support, education and advocacy. Serving
more than 77,000 members, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430 communities in
the United States. Visit www.pflag.org.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~