Subject: PFLAG News Release: Praise for Senate Passage of HCPA
From: heather wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:27:27 -0400

[our apologies, computer difficulties delayed email delivery of this 
release]

*	 *	*  PFLAG News Release   *	  *	  *

July 23, 1999						
Contact: Janice Hughes 202-638-4200 x225								

Family Organization Praises Senate Passage
Of Hate Crimes Prevention Act

One of the largest grassroots family groups in the U.S. strongly praised
the Senate for taking an important step for the country in adopting a
critical hate-crimes bill as part of a larger piece of legislation last
night.

"Any parent knows that there is nothing more vital than protecting our
children. Our members across the country salute the Senate for taking this
important stride towards a safe society for all," said Paul Beeman, the
president of the national group, Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians
and Gays (PFLAG).

"This is a huge victory for all families nationwide," said Beeman, who
heads the 430-chapter organization. The Hate Crimes Prevention Act
strengthens federal hate crime law to assist local prosecutions, and where
appropriate, investigate and prosecute cases in which violence occurs
because of the victim's sexual orientation, disability or gender. The
Senate adopted the entire HCPA late July 22 as part of the larger Commerce, 
State, Justice Appropriations bill.

Beeman urged House members to follow the Senate's important lead and to
speak out in support of the bill, known as HCPA, during upcoming hearings.

"No issue holds higher priority for us than protecting the lives of our
loved ones. This legislation moves us closer to the day when our loved ones 
can live openly, without fear and free of violence," the PFLAG president
noted.

Beeman also lauded the Senate leadership, particularly the staff of Sen.
Edward Kennedy (D-MA), as well as all members of the broad-based coalition
of groups representing people of faith, people of color, women and people
with disabilities, which worked together on the bill.

PFLAG members nationwide already have begun to celebrate this key victory.
 Large numbers of the organization's mothers, fathers, family members and
others worked hard in their state and home towns - with other fair-minded
citizens - to get the word out about the need for a federal response to the 
rising numbers of hate crimes of all kinds.  Beeman praised PFLAGers and
others for their dedicated efforts - including contacting their lawmakers,
educating law enforcement officials and providing support to families who
fear violence against their loved ones.

 "Hate crimes hurt families. And hate crimes hurt communities," Beeman
noted. "We hope House members will recognize that, and do their part to
bring this bill to final passage."

"This legislation, if passed, will help prevent us from losing more of our
loved ones to hate violence," he said.

HCPA now has the support of the U.S. Senate along with President Clinton,
the Department of Justice and a bi-partisan group of lead sponsors in
Congress.

			#   #   #
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays promotes the health and 
well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons, their 
family and friends through support, education and advocacy.  1101 14th St, 
NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005
ph: 202-638-4200, fx: 202-638-0243, http://www.pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, email
[email-masked], subject line "unsubscribe." Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~