Subject: PFLAG Alert: PFLAG Kicks Off Gay & Lesbian History Month, Honors
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:23:13 -0400

October 1, 1999	For Immediate Release

Contact: Eric Ferrero 202-638-4200 x212

"Our national family movement started because of one mother's love for and
support of her gay son, and today, a quarter century later, we are tens of
thousands strong - still battling homophobia, still building support
systems, still bridging communities."
	- Kirsten Kingdon, National Executive Director
	Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

PFLAG Kicks Off Gay and Lesbian History Month, 
Honoring Unique Role of Families, Straight Allies 

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) kicked off Gay
and Lesbian History Month today, vowing to honor its courageous founders and
continue their legacy into the next millennium.  Beginning today, PFLAG's
web site - www.pflag.org - will feature a "PFLAG Pioneer" every weekday in
October.  The web site also now includes one of the most comprehensive
histories of PFLAG, including interviews with the group's founders and their
loved ones.

"These are the unsung heroes in gay and lesbian history - and also in our
nation's history," said Kirsten Kingon, PFLAG Executive Director and mother
of a gay son.  "Few people realize that PFLAG is nearly three decades old.
Before Harvey Milk, before Anita Bryant, before 'Ellen,' parents began to
organize.  And today, we're the most organized grassroots presence in the
nation for supporters of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (g/l/b/t)
people." 

In 1972, a fourth-grade school teacher from Flushing, New York, marched with
her gay son in New York City's Pride Parade.  She was overwhelmed by the
crowds of people who stopped her on the parade route to hug her, cry with
her and talk to her about their own families.  After the parade, her
telephone rang almost non-stop with g/l/b/t people and their families.
Within months, parents of gay people gathered for a support group meeting in
a church basement in Greenwich Village.  

Within a few years, similar groups had sprung up from coast to coast, and
parents were beginning to take to the airwaves in support of their loved
ones.  Support groups grew and flourished, and families began pioneering
their unique brand of advocacy for equal civil rights.  By telling their
stories - simply talking about their g/l/b/t children and their families -
ordinary Americans began changing hearts, minds and policies.

"Many groups form an organization, then build a local presence.  In PFLAG,
we eventually had so many local chapters that it became clear we needed a
central, national voice to maximize our work and take our movement further,"
Kingdon said.  "As we've grown, our work has expanded.  But, as is often the
case, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Our focus has
never wavered from providing support, education and advocacy."
	
					# # #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430+
communities in the U.S. 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~