Subject: PFLAG News Release: Families Stand Firm Against CA Knight Initiat
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:58:57 -0400

For Immediate Release: September 28, 1999			
Contact: Eric Ferrero, 202-638-4200 x212

Families Stand Firm Against 'Unfair, Divisive, Intrusive'
Knight Initiative, Set for March Ballot in California

	The National Board of Directors of Parents, Families and Friends of
Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) - a majority of whom are in long-term,
heterosexual marriages - voted unanimously Sunday to oppose California's
Knight Initiative, a ballot measure that seeks to define marriage and, in
the process, create a political wedge issue. 

	The Knight Initiative will come before California's voters in the
state's March 7 primary election.  While its wording is simple ("Only
marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."),
opponents note that, if passed, it may be used to deny a host of equal civil
rights to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (g/l/b/t) people.

	"Many of us have a sense of de ja vu with the Knight Initiative,"
said PFLAG President Rev. Paul Beeman.  "We've seen time and time again -
most recently in Hawaii and Alaska - right-wing political groups use
marriage to divide fair-minded people and to establish a foundation to begin
incrementally chipping away our loved one's equal civil rights."

	Beeman, a retired United Methodist Minister, has been married to his
wife, Betty, for nearly five decades.  Together, they have four children,
including a gay son and a lesbian daughter.  "Some on the far-right
political fringe want to call this the 'Protection of Marriage Initiative,'"
Beeman said.  "I can't speak for them, but my marriage is perfectly fine.
Rather than trying to protect something that needs no intrusion or
assistance, I'd much rather see California's voters protect gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered youth in schools, or protect our loved ones from
hate crimes, or protect all residents from job discrimination."

	PFLAG San Francisco Co-President Sam Thoron carried the motion to
oppose the Knight Initiative at PFLAG's National Board meeting.  Thoron has
been married to his wife, Julia, for decades.  They have a lesbian daughter.
The motion was seconded by Board Secretary Gary Watts, of Provo, Utah.
Watts and his wife, Millie, are active in the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).  They have a gay son, five other children and
three grandchildren.  The Watts have been happily married for many years.

	PFLAG has more than three dozen local chapters throughout
California.  

				# # #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430
communities in the U.S.                 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~