Subject: PFLAG News Release: Families Share Stories of Faith and Acceptance
From: heather wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:08:31 -0400

*    *    *    PFLAG News Release    *    *    * 

July 1, 1999							
Contact: Janice Hughes 202-638-4200 x225	

Families Share Stories of Faith and Acceptance
Expanded, Revised Publication for Those with Gay Loved Ones

	Faith in Our Families: Parents, Families and Friends Talk About Religion 
and Homosexuality highlights the experiences of many families upon learning 
that a loved one is gay. This newly expanded and revised booklet from 
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) addresses how 
families nationwide have reconciled their faith with their acceptance of 
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender loved ones.

 	Using personal stories - as told by moms, dads, grandparents and others - 
 Faith in Our Families addresses the issues faced by many when a loved one 
comes out.  PFLAG members, from chapters across the country, share their 
wide range of experiences in dealing with their loved ones' sexual 
orientations and their faith traditions' teachings on, and treatment of, 
homosexuality.
			
	PFLAG members also tell how they "came out" in their own faith 
communities, educating and advocating locally for their gay loved ones and 
for respect for all people.  They tell how they are working to change 
anti-gay attitudes and practices, rather than change their children.

	The newly expanded Faith in Our Families offers an extensive resource 
guide, including a comprehensive listing of welcoming religious and 
spiritual groups.  Recommended readings in religion and homosexuality are 
also provided.

	"Faith in Our Families addresses the critical needs that many families 
have upon learning that their child, grandchild, sibling or friend is gay," 
said PFLAG President Rev. Paul Beeman.

	"Faith is an important part of many of our lives, no matter what 
traditions we follow," he said.
				###

PFLAG is non-sectarian, non-denominational and not affiliated with any 
religious institution.  For ordering information, contact [email-masked]

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the 
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, 
their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse 
society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to 
end discrimination and to secure civil rights.   PFLAG provides an 
opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity, and 
acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity. 
  Serving over 75,000 members, PFLAG affiliates are located in more than 
425 communities across the United States and abroad.

1101 14th Street, NW . Suite 1030 . Washington, D.C. 20005 . 
(202) 638-4200 . Fax: (202) 638-0243
E-mail: [email-masked] . Web: http://www.pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To unsubscribe from the PFLAG Alert list, send an email to
[email-masked], subject line "unsubscribe."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~