Subject: PFLAG Advisory: Families Come Out Against Knight Initiative
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:09:41 -0400

** MEDIA ADVISORY **

Families Come Out Against Knight Initiative
Parents of Gays Gather in Pete Knight's Home District

During a conference in Valencia (State Senator Pete Knight's home district)
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) will speak out
against the Knight Initiative. The Knight Initiative is a statewide anti-gay
ballot measure sponsored by State Senator Knight and slated for the March
2000 ballot. PFLAG is a family support, education and advocacy organization
with 430 local chapters nationwide - including a dozen in the greater L.A.
area and more than 50 throughout California.  Approximately 100 parents and
other PFLAG members will gather for "Forever Families," PFLAG's Southern
Pacific Regional Conference this weekend.

What: 	Families Against the Knight Initiative Press Conference

When:	Saturday, October 23, 11:00 a.m.

Who:	Kirsten Kingdon: PFLAG National Executive Director 
			and mother of a gay son
			(Mrs. Kingdon will be joined by her straight son, 
			Tor, of L.A.)	

	Gwenn Baldwin:	No on Knight Board of Directors 
                             	and L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center Executive
Director

	Peggy Stabile:	PFLAG Santa Clarita member, 
			retired school counselor 
 			and mother of a gay son

	John Cooley:	PFLAG Southern California leader, LAPD sergeant 
                         	and father of a gay son

 Where:   Hyatt Valencia; 24500 Town Center Dr., Valencia

Contact:   Eric Ferrero, PFLAG; 202-638-4200, x212, or 202-667-1553
	   Tracey Conaty, No on Knight; 415-227-1020, or 415-225-5786

Why:

The Knight Initiative, sponsored by right-wing State Senator Pete Knight, is
on the March 7 ballot. It states: "Only marriage between a man and a woman
is valid or recognized in California." Knight Initiative backers claim it
protects marriage.  The Knight Initiative doesn't protect marriage.  It
attacks families. Californian families are coming out against the initiative
- and in favor of fairness. 

                 #  #  #
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430+
communities in the U.S. 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~