Subject: PFLAG News Release: Families Celebrate Grandparents Day
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:54:49 -0400

For Immediate Release: September 8, 1999			 	
Contact: Eric Ferrero, 202-638-4200 x212

Families Celebrate National Grandparents Day By Honoring
Elders' Support of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered Relatives

	Some have gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered (g/l/b/t)
grandchildren.  Others have g/l/b/t children who became foster parents,
adopted or gave birth to children of their own.  Either way, increasing
numbers of grandparents are accepting and supporting their non-heterosexual
relatives - and Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
is paying tribute to them as Americans celebrate National Grandparents Day
this Sunday (Sept. 12).

	National trends show g/l/b/t people coming out at younger ages, when
they are more likely to have living grandparents.  Combined with rising
rates of g/l/b/t people becoming parents themselves, this means grandparents
are facing issues of sexual orientation and gender identity as never before.
And they are rising to the challenge, according to PFLAG.

	"We often hear people say they just can't tell older people that
someone in the family is gay.  They think that someone from another
generation will not be accepting, or that's there's no need to come out to
them," said Iris Blumenthal, past president of PFLAG Long Island.  "That
myth is out there, and it's based on reality in some cases.  But our
experience is that grandparents are often even more loving and more readily
accepting of all that their grandchildren are."  

	Blumenthal has a gay son, whose grandmother loved and supported him
from the day he came out until her death.  "Her immediate response was, 'We
love Jonathan.  What should we do to let him know that it makes no
difference to us?'"  Blumenthal said.  Her mother then asked for contact
information for the PFLAG chapter near her home in Greenville, South
Carolina.  "She attended to show parents and gay people that grandparents
love and support their gay grandchildren."

	All across the country - from Tulsa to Miami, from Los Angeles to
Salt Lake City - such stories are becoming common.  Grandparents are joining
forces with moms, dads, siblings, uncles, aunts and children who - through
PFLAG - support each other, educate their communities and advocate for equal
civil rights.

	As Lillian Wolfe, an 82-year-old grandmother who marches with her
daughter and grandson in Dallas' Gay Pride Parade, says: "This has been
going on since the world began.  Certainly I knew gay people when I was
growing up.  People were afraid to talk about it then - and sometimes they
still are.  But it's getting better."

Interviews with grandparents, parents and grandchildren throughout the U.S. 
can be arranged by calling Eric Ferrero at 202-638-4200, ext. 212.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 425+
communities in the U.S. 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~