Subject: PFLAG: Double your Donation in the New Year
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:38:12 -0500

*  From the desktop computer of Kirsten Kingdon

Dear Friends:

My warmest greetings to you as we approach the new year.  I'm sure we're all
celebrating the decision by the Vermont Supreme Court requiring the state
legislature to provide equal benefits to same-sex couples, either through
marriage or domestic partnership.  We have three strong chapters there who
will be weighing in on the issue.

Other good news: the Working Assets million dollar match has been extended
through January 15th, 2000! And, from the 1st through the 15th of January,
your donations up to $50.00 will be matched 100%.  (An increase from $25 for
October through December.)  To make a year-end or new year's contribution to
PFLAG, point your browser to www.giveforchange.com, click on Gay and Lesbian
Rights, and choose Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.  And
please tell your friends and family. 

Lastly, I want to share with you a lovely story about a brave PFLAG Mom from
Leitchfield, KY, who has a daughter who is a lesbian.  Marge Candler, our
South Atlantic Regional Director, sent me the story.  (We have fourteen
volunteer regional directors around the country.)

"A very unique idea, and a great way to get the PFLAG story out, was sent to
me by Mary Bird who lives in Leitchfield, KY.  Mary is a member of the
Clarkson Homemaker's Club in her small town.  The Grayson County
News-Gazette pretty much publishes what ever the different clubs in town
give them.  So on Monday, November 15th they published an article from the
Homemaker's Club about the plight of glbt youth in schools.  The club is
making an effort to promote gay awareness.  The paper will do another
article on Dec. 9th.

"Their Club delivered information packets about glbt teens/parents and PFLAG
to the Twin Lakes Hospital CEO, the County Health Department, Mental Health
Department, library, and nine local doctors. They have mailed packets to 16
churches and have taken a letter to the Sheriff and Chief of Police.   In
addition, they met with the Assistant Superintentand of the Board of
Education to drop off a packet and talk. 

"Mary stated: 'It's really scary, as there is no real support for me here.
My Homemakers Club has six women in it, who understand what it's like after
listening to me tell my story. But as much as I'm proud of their support,
they really don't have a clue how ugly this all can get."

"She is certainly one brave lady to do all this in her small town."

I couldn't agree more!  With such inspiring work being done by our more than
430 chapters around the country, I can only imagine the change that we will
bring in the years to come. To send your words of appreciation, you can
email Mary Bird at [email-masked]
Happy New Year, and thank you again for your support of PFLAG.

Sincerely,

Kirsten Kingdon
Executive Director

Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays
1726 M Street, NW Suite 400 
Washington, DC 20036
ph: 202-467-8180      fx: 202-467-8194
http://www.pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To be removed from the PFLAG Alert list, send an email, 
subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~