Subject: PFLAG News Release: PFLAG President Discusses Bias Crimes After W
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:30:53 -0400

For Immediate Release September 28, 1999

Contact: Eric Ferrero 202-638-4200 x212

PFLAG National Leader Discusses Bias-Motivated Crime 
With Select Group After White House Religious Breakfast

	After attending the prestigious White House Religious Leaders
Breakfast this morning, the president of Parents, Families and Friends of
Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) discussed hate crimes with a small group of faith
leaders and White House staff.

	Rev. Paul Beeman, National PFLAG President and retired United
Methodist Minister, attended the breakfast with fewer than 130 other
prominent national religious figures who gathered to talk about faith in
American life.  Following the breakfast - which included speech and prayer
from President Clinton - Beeman and a "small handful" of leaders whose
constituencies are targets of harassment and violence stayed for a
discussion with the White House.

	"This meeting was truly historic," said Beeman who is married with
four children, including a gay son and a lesbian daughter.  "Too often, we
are seeing these issues debated in a context of religious people versus
gay-supportive people.  Many g/l/b/t people and their families are people of
faith - and we are appalled by hate crimes of any sort, including those
based on religion."

	Clinton told the group that faith communities can play "a major
role" in preventing violence, and he again called on the House to approve
Senate-passed legislation expanding the government's power to pursue
perpetrators of hate crimes.  

	Next week, PFLAG will release "Hate Crimes Hurt Families," an
unprecedented issue paper on the devastating effects such crimes often have
on g/l/b/t people and their families.  Beeman said the White House faith
gathering was an ideal venue to begin "critical dialogue" about the nation's
role in preventing bias-motivated crimes.

	"I have met parents who regularly travel hundreds of miles for
Parole Board hearings for their children's murderers.  I have comforted
families whose children committed suicide after being attacked in hate
crimes.  I have seen families whose homes were vandalized and whose lives
were threatened - simply because they love their gay children
unconditionally," Beeman said.  "This morning's meeting was a key beginning
to greater dialogue. Our nation has serious issues to address, and we're all
going to have to work together to affect lasting change."

				# # #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430
communities in the U.S.                 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~