Subject: PFLAG News Release: Congress' Impending Hate Crimes Decision Oppo
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:15:18 -0400

*  *  *  PFLAG News Release *  *  *
October 14, 1999  For Immediate Release 
Contact: Eric Ferrero  202-638-4200 x212

Group Calls Congress' Impending Decision on Hate Crimes 
'An Opportunity for Moral Leadership on Family Issues' 

	As a Congressional Conference Committee nears a decision on whether
to pass the Senate-approved provision extending hate crime laws to cover
sexual orientation, families nationwide today called on Congress to "take a
stand for fairness, make history and turn the tide against bias-motivated
hate."

	Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has
worked for months in virtually every Congressional District to educate
lawmakers about the need for federal legislation that is inclusive of
disability, gender and sexual orientation.  Earlier this month, PFLAG
released "Hate Crimes Hurt Families," an unprecedented Issue Paper examining
the broader affects of bias-motivated crime.

	"Congress has a unique opportunity to make history with this
legislation," said PFLAG Executive Director Kirsten Kingdon.  "We know that
at least 20 people were killed last year because they were gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered.  And Congress needs to know that those 20 people
- and millions like them who face harassment, discrimination and violence -
have families who will not rest until our loved ones are protected."

	Today, one mother challenged Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott's
assertion (through a spokesman): "What crime isn't a hate crime?  It's
offensive to any family who's a victim of a crime to say that their crime is
somehow less hurtful."  Nancy Rodriguez's son was murdered brutally in 1991
because he was gay.  The 27-year-old was attacked by several minors and
young men on July 4.  They punched him, kicked him, pounded him with boards
bearing nails and stabbed him with knives.  All the while, they repeatedly
shouted, "Faggot!"  

	"Before Trent Lott talks about victims' families, I'd like him to
attend a Parole Board hearing with me," said Rodriguez, who frequently
travels from her home in Georgia to Houston, where her son was murdered, for
hearings.  Next year alone, Rodriguez will attend four such hearings.  "All
crimes are hurtful.  Some crimes - hate crimes - send messages to entire
communities."

	Rodriguez said a "climate of hate and fear" helped contribute to her
son's murder.  "By approving inclusive hate crimes legislation, Congress can
send a powerful message and begin to change that climate," she said.
"That's the kind of moral leadership families want for this country."

		#  #  #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families & friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving
nearly 77,000 members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 430+
communities in the U.S. 

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 .
 phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
 Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an
 email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~