Subject: PFLAG Conference Watch 12/17/99
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:32:19 -0500

Conference Watch: December 17, 1999
"PFLAG: Family Voices for Equality"
April 28-30, 2000; Washington, DC

"The PFLAG conference was an enlightening and overwhelming experience.  It
is a memory that will remain with us for the rest of our lives."
- PFLAG Mom who attended PFLAG's
 1996 National Conference in Washington, DC

With just 135 days until PFLAG's first National Conference in more than two
years, plans are heating up for a weekend packed with unique and useful
events for the entire PFLAG Family - from chapter leaders to new members;
from parents to g/l/b/t people.

This edition of Conference Watch includes information on upcoming deadlines,
as well as announcements about PFLAG events before, during and after the
conference.  Early conference sponsors include American Airlines, IBM, Coors
Brewing Company and American Express Financial Advisors.

1. Announcement - Apple Pie Recipe Contest
2. Registration - Register today and save $50
3. Scholarships - Applications due Feb. 15
4. Airfare - Fly free to the National Conference
5. Schedule - More events already added
6. Workshops - A sampling of topics and presenters
7. Contests - You could win special prizes

1. Announcement - Apple Pie Recipe Contest

	On Wednesday evening, April 26, dozens of PFLAG Families and Friends
will gather to bake apple pies, which will be delivered to members of
Congress during PFLAG's Lobby Day, Thursday afternoon, April 27.
	Last year, a PFLAG Mom in Virginia was having trouble scheduling an
appointment with a conservative state legislator.  So she showed up with a
home-baked apple pie.  He couldn't resist meeting with her.  Now, her
wonderful idea will be replicated nationally - with celebrity PFLAG Families
pitching in to help bake.
	Leading up to what promises to be an unforgettable evening, PFLAG is
soliciting apple pie recipes from families nationwide.  Please send your
family's recipe to:

			PFLAG Apple Pie Recipe Contest
			1726 M St., NW, Suite 400
			Washington, DC 20036
			Fax: 202-638-0243; E-mail to: [email-masked]

2. Registration - Register today and save $50

	After Dec. 31, registration for the National Conference increases to
$250 for members and $280 for non-members. Register now, for just $200 for
members and $250 for non-members.
	For a registration form, call 202-638-4200, x213.  To register
online, go to: http://www.pflag.org/confreg.html.

3. Scholarships - Applications due Feb. 15

	PFLAG will award scholarships for conference registration to one
person per region, and to other if additional funds are available.
Scholarship applications are due February 15, 2000, and awardees will be
notified by February 28, 2000.  (Recipients are responsible for making all
arrangements for lodging and should be aware that hotels are likely to fill
up early.)  To nominate someone or apply yourself, send a one-page letter
answering the following questions:

	Are you/they a PFLAG chapter or at-large member (potential member)?
	Are you/they an at-large PFLAG member, or a potential member?
	How long have you/they been a PFLAG member?
	Why did you/they join PFLAG?
	Describe how you/they work with the PFLAG chapter.
	How will you/they and the chapter benefit from attending conference?

	Please include your name, address and telephone number.  Send
nominations to:

	PFLAG Conference Scholarship Fund
	1726 M Street, NW, Suite 400
	Washington, DC 20036
	Fax to: 202-638-0243; E-mail to: [email-masked]

Also, PFLAG Washington, DCC/Metro Area is coordinating community housing for
the conference.  Look for more information in future editions of Conference
Watch.

4. Airfare - Fly free to the National Conference

	Any PFLAG delegation that includes 30 people flying to the
conference on PFLAG's official airline, American Airlines, will receive one
free American Airlines flight voucher.  The delegation doesn't have to be
from the same chapter, but they do all need to be traveling to the
conference.  All members of the delegation must use the following code when
booking conference flights on American Airlines: S3940UC.  Call
1-800-433-1790 to take advantage of this offer and receive a discount on
your fare.  
	Delegations are encouraged to use the free flight to send someone
else to conference.  To do so, submit a list of the 30-member delegation by
March 10, 2000, to PFLAG's Field staff.  For a listing of Field staff
serving your area, call 202-638-4200, or go to
http://www.pflag.org/works/staff/staffm.html.

5. Schedule - More events already added

	The conference officially kicks off Friday evening, April 28, with a
plenary session on the g/l/b/t movement and PFLAG's role.  Workshops run all
day Saturday, with an Awards Banquet and Dance Saturday night.  Sunday
morning includes an interfaith service and a special membership meeting.
Later in the morning, conference attendees will join to attend the
Millennium March on Washington, a historic g/l/b/t national march.
	Many PFLAG members plan to attend pre-conference events, including
Wednesday evening's apple pie baking and Thursday's lobby day (see above).
On Friday afternoon, PFLAG members will join youth and experts on schools
issues for a Youth and Education Institute.
 	From April 28-30, attendees will have access to the conference
Exhibits Hall and Cyber Café, where people can check their e-mail and
receive on-the-spot computer training.

6. Workshops - A sampling of topics and presenters

	 More than 45 workshops are scheduled for Saturday, April 29.
Topics include a range of support, education and advocacy.  Scheduled
workshops topics include support group facilitation, organizing families in
communities of color, violence prevention, grandparent's issues, public
speaking, difficult family issues and fighting the radical right
effectively. 
	Presenters include nationally-recognized experts, leaders of
chapters with successful programs, and representatives of leading national
g/l/b/t and mainstream groups.

7. Contest - You could win special prizes

At the conference, prizes will be awarded to: (1) the chapter with the
highest  percentage of its members in attendance: (2) the chapter with the
most members in attendance; (3) the person who came the farthest to attend
the conference; and (4) the largest family (in the broad sense of the word)
contingent.

   "The conference and related activities were so overwhelming, emotional,
inspiring, educational, heart-warming and heart-wrenching, it is hard to
convey in words, thoughts, and feelings all that happened.  I can honestly
say that I have never met a more dedicated, spiritual, compassionate and
beautiful group of people in my life."
- Another PFLAG member who attended PFLAG's
 1996 National Conference in Washington, DC

                   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update your records! 
PFLAG's national office has moved, our new address is:
1726 M Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036
ph: 202-638-4200 fx: 202-638-0243 remain the same
email: [email-masked]	web: www.pflag.org

Unsubscribe from this list by emailing [email-masked], with
the subject line "unsubscribe."