Subject: PFLAG News Release: PFLAG Celebrates NJ Decision Outlawing Boy Scout Ban on Gays
From: heather wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:30:12 -0400

*    *    *    PFLAG News Release    *    *    *

August 4, 1999								
Contact: Heather Wright  202-638-4200 x213

PFLAG Leaders Celebrate New Jersey
Decision Outlawing Boy Scout Ban on Gays

	The New Jersey Supreme Court ruled today that the Boy Scouts of America's 
ban on homosexuals is illegal under New Jersey's anti-discrimination law. 
 Two leaders of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) 
- both parents of former Scouts - released the following statements on 
today's victory:
	
Melina Waldo, New Jersey-based PFLAG Regional Director for New Jersey, New 
York and Pennsylvania:

	"I am hopeful that the New Jersey Supreme Court's decision encourages the 
Boy Scouts of America to halt its discriminatory policies nationwide and to 
welcome all of our children and family members into its ranks.
	"As a parent of a gay son who was a Scout, I applaud this ruling by my 
state's highest court.  I look forward to the day that the Scouts put aside 
a policy that is detrimental to all youth and society as a whole."						

PFLAG National Executive Director Kirsten Kingdon:

	"This is a victory for fairness.  We laud the efforts of Eagle Scout James 
Dale and his courage to stand tall for those values he learned in Scouting 
- honesty, courtesy and fairness.
	"The Boy Scouts of America says it prides itself on teaching youth the 
value of honesty, but what happens when a teen identifies himself as gay? 
He opens himself up to discrimination because he is honest about his sexual 
orientation.
	"PFLAG calls on the Boy Scouts to take today's message of inclusion to 
heart and to welcome our children and loved ones for who they are."	

NOTE:  PFLAG filed an amicus brief in this NJ case.
PFLAG has a written public policy urging the Boy Scouts to change 
its stance, and encourages its 425+ chapters to withhold contributions to 
the Boy Scouts until it does so.  (The one-page statement is available upon 
request.)

			#   #   #
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the 
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families 
& friends through support, education, and advocacy. Serving nearly 77,000 
members & supporters, PFLAG affiliates are located in 425+ communities in 
the U.S.

1101 14th St. NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 . 
phone: 202-638-4200  fax: 202-638-0243
Email [email-masked]  Web http://www.pflag.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert, send an 
email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~