Subject: PFLAG Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:32:39 -0600

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

March 20, 1998
For Immediate Release

Contact:  Janice Hughes
(202)638-4200 x225

PFLAG Optimistic that Creech Decision Will Pave Way for More Denominations
to Reach Out

PFLAG Mom Testified at Pastor's Historic Trial

	Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is
predicting that more denominations will become open and inclusive of gays,
lesbians and bisexuals in the wake of the historic decision in the church
trial of Rev. Jimmy Creech, the senior pastor who performed a commitment
ceremony for a lesbian couple.

	"It's a beacon of hope that more faith communities will reach out
to all people, including gays and lesbians," National PFLAG President Nancy
McDonald said.

	She pointed out that a greater number of families are beginning to
ask their church leaders to welcome their gay and lesbian loved ones. One
earlier encouraging step, she said, was the U.S. Catholic Bishops'
statement last fall urging pastors to support families with gay children.

	"Moms, dads, grandparents and others increasingly are looking to
their pastors and rabbis to show greater sensitivity to the fact that our
gay and lesbian kids deserve to be treated with love and respect," said
McDonald who heads the 70,000-household national group.

	PFLAG's Betty Dorr was one of a handful who testified on Creech's
behalf
at the closed trial in Kearney, Nebraska. A grandmother and parent, Dorr,
has a gay son and is a longtime member of the First Methodist pastor's
church in Omaha.

	Under a new initiative, PFLAG members - across various
denominations - are taking creative steps to open dialogue with church
leaders countrywide. First-person stories from families who have struggled
with the issue in their congregations are available in a new PFLAG booklet,
Beyond the Bible: Parents, Families & Friends Talk about Religion &
Homosexuality.

McDonald can be reached at 918-742-8565; Dorr is also available.

###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
& friends through support, education, and advocacy. PFLAG provides an
opportunity for dialogue on sexual orientation, and acts to create a
society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity. Serving nearly
70,000 members, PFLAG affiliates are located in 400-plus communities in the
U.S. and abroad.

1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1030, Washington, DC 20005 * (202)638-4200
Fax: (202)638-0243 * E-mail: [email-masked] * Web: www.pflag.org