Subject: Freedom to Marry Day
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:38:47 -0600

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 10, 1998

CONTACT: Janice Hughes,[email-masked]
202/638-4200 Ext. 225

Parents, Families & Friends Celebrate
First-Ever National Freedom to Marry Day - February 12

PFLAG Supports "Tying of Knot" by Lesbian & Gay Couples

        Members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
(PFLAG) are urging Americans everywhere to step up their support for equal
marriage rights by taking part in the first-ever National Freedom to Marry
Day - February 12, 1998.
        With a broad array of other groups and well-known leaders,
celebrities and clergy members, PFLAG is asking all fair-minded people to
take a moment to celebrate this historic day - which falls just before
Valentine's Day - by "Tying the Knot."
        Supporters can join in by tying lavender ribbons around trees,
lampposts, car antennae and door knobs... or they can just tie ribbons
around their ring fingers or pin knotted ribbons on their lapels.
        "As moms, dads, family members and friends of lesbians and gays, we
strongly stand behind equal marriage rights - it's a family issue," said
PFLAG President Nancy McDonald. National Freedom to Marry Day comes as the
Hawaiian Supreme Court is expected to issue its long-awaited decision about
same-gender couples' rights to marry.
        "This is about more than exchanging vows and rings," McDonald said.
"This is also about critical legal issues related to insurance and
inheritance benefits, and securing the simple right to be able to visit a
partner in the hospital."
        PFLAG and other organizations, as well as nationally-known figures
- ranging from Coretta Scott King to Paul Reiser - are among the hundreds
who have endorsed The Marriage Resolution, a statement of support for equal
marriage rights.
        PFLAG, which is comprised of 70,000 households, is made up of more
than 400 PFLAG chapters across the country and abroad.

For interviews with PFLAG parents or for a PFLAG Marriage Position Paper,
call 202/638-4200 Ext. 225.

###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity. Serving  approximately 69,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 400 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.

                   1101 14th Street, N.W., Suite 1030 Washington, D.C. 20005
         (202) 638-4200 Fax: (202) 638-0243 E-mail: [email-masked] Web:
http://www.pflag.org