Subject: PFLAG Release - Rev. Jimmy Creech
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:19:59 -0600

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

February 27, 1998
For Immediate Release

Contact:  Janice Hughes
202-638-4200 x225

PFLAG National President Calls for Strong Support
of Pastor as Church Trial Looms

        The head of the 400-chapter Parents, Families and Friends of
Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is urging all families everywhere to voice
support for Rev. Jimmy Creech, the senior pastor who next month faces a
rarely-held church trial for performing a union ceremony for a lesbian
couple.

        "On behalf of PFLAG's 70,000 member households, I strongly urge
everyone to speak up in support of Rev. Creech - for his courage in being
open and inclusive of all people," said National PFLAG President Nancy
McDonald. The First United Methodist Church pastor stands trial March 11-13
in Kearney, Nebraska. Several PFLAG members, including some who belong to
the Omaha congregation where Creech is a pastor, plan to travel to Kearney
to attend the trial. In addition, a defense fund has been set up.

        "Everyone deserves to be treated equally," said McDonald. "We know
this all too well. Every day, our sons, our daughters and loved ones still
struggle to be treated with respect, and for the right to celebrate their
love and commitment - and that includes in churches and synagogues."

        McDonald praised Creech for standing tall in face of the upcoming
trial. Currently under suspension, Creech has clearly stated that he
performed the union ceremony as part of his pastoral ministry and with the
support of his local church. He has been an ordained minister for 27 years.

        This year, many PFLAG members in towns and cities nationwide are
participating in a new initiative to make sure that all families are
welcome in faith communities everywhere.

        First-person accounts from families who have struggled with the
issue are now available from PFLAG. Beyond the Bible: Parents, Families and
Friends Talk about Religion and Homosexuality uses those personal stories
to show how families have reconciled their faith with their acceptance of
gay and lesbian loved ones.

        National PFLAG President McDonald is available for telephone
interviews at 918-742-8565. Other PFLAG parents are also available.

###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and
well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families and friends
through: support, to
cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed
public; and advocacy, to
end discrimination and to secure civil rights. PFLAG provides an
opportunity for dialogue about
sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.
Serving over 70,000 members, PFLAG affiliates are located in more than 400
communities across the United States, and in 11 other countries.

              1101 14th Street, N.W., Suite 1030 Washington, D.C. 20005
   (202) 638-4200 Fax: (202) 638-0243 E-mail: [email-masked] Web:
http://www.pflag.org