Subject: PRESS RELEASE
From: [email-masked] (PFLAG Communications)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:03:50 -0500

For July 24, 1998 release          Contact:  Janice Hughes 202/638-4200 x225

 National Parents Group Calls for Dialogue with Right Wing Groups in Wake
of Continued Ad Campaign

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), a
national family organization, is calling this week for a "true dialogue"
with a coalition of right-wing groups in the wake of its continued campaign
of advertising and rhetoric advocating the "curing" of gay Americans.
        "As parents and grandparents, we would welcome a fair-minded
dialogue with our conservative neighbors," said Rev. Paul Beeman, a
minister and national PFLAG Board member.
        "PFLAG asks them to take the daring step of getting to really know
and listen to the stories of our gay loved ones," he said. "This right-wing
coalition has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars calling for a
'national discussion' on homosexuality.  We want to move beyond misleading
ads and inflammatory rhetoric, toward an open and honest exchange of
perspectives."
         Several "ex-gay movement" groups have orchestrated an ongoing
national anti-gay campaign in recent weeks, placing full-page
advertisements in major newspapers and increasing their rhetoric against
acceptance and understanding of gay and lesbian Americans.  PFLAG
co-sponsored an ad that ran this week in USA Today  calling for acceptance
and support for all gay people.
        "It's time to move to a higher ground. We no longer want to see our
children and loved ones used as pieces on a chessboard, in the middle of a
debate for political gains by extremists," stressed Kirsten Kingdon,
Executive Director of PFLAG, a 400-plus chapter group based in Washington,
DC.  "It's time for everyone to realize that our children are healthy and
happy as they are.  They do not need to be 'cured,' but they do need to be
recognized as valuable, fully equal members of our families, our churches,
our communities and our nation."
         In their ads and their rhetoric, the conservatives promote
out-moded theories used by "ex-gay" ministries that try to alter gay and
lesbian people's natural sexual orientations.  The American Psychological
Association and the American Psychoanalytical Association say that
scientific evidence does not show that so-called conversion therapy works,
and that it can do more harm than good.  The American Academy of
Pediatrics' position is that "therapy directed specifically at changing
sexual orientation is contraindicated."
        PFLAG and other coalition members believe that "if you really love
someone, you'll fight for their right to live with dignity and fairness."
Scientific evidence points to the conclusion that a person's sexual
orientation is intrinsic and not subject to modification.
        Kelly Kirby, a national PFLAG Board member who participated in
"ex-gay" ministries in the 1970s and 1980s, also welcomed the call for
dialogue. "I believe that most of these folks who propound the need for
gays to change are loving and sincere.... But in my case, attempts to
change my natural sexual orientation caused real spiritual, emotional and
psychological damage, which took a lot of work on my part to undo," he
said. "I am grateful that I have succeeded in coming out healthy on the
other side."

Contact: PFLAG President Nancy McDonald for interviews: 918-742-8565,
and ex-ex gay national PFLAG Board member Kelly Kirby: 918-747-5466

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through support, education and advocacy.  PFLAG provides an
opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a
society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity.   PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 400 communities in the U.S. and abroad.

1101 14th St.  NW,   Suite 1030   Washington, DC   20005   202-638-4200
http://www.pflag.org