Subject: ENDA Hearings
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:09:15 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

SPECIAL ALERT (Press Release Follows)
October 23, 1997

        Hearings resume today, October 23, in Washington,
DC, on Capitol Hill about the historic Employment Non-Discrimination Act
(ENDA), a bill to outlaw job discrimination based on sexual orientation.
        We are sending you a statement which is being made available today
to the media from PFLAG President Nancy McDonald urging lawmakers to
support this important legislation.
        Please telephone the following members of the Senate Labor and
Human Resources Committee, who are hearing testimony today on ENDA, to urge
their support of the bill. In particular, certain senators (those whose
names are marked with hyphens) need to hear from ENDA supporters, Capitol
Hill insiders tell us.
        As you can see, Republicans on the committee, need to hear from us
especially at this point. So please grab those telephones and let them know
your views. You can be assured ENDA opponents will do so. ENDA came within
one vote of passing the Senate a year ago. (McDonald's statement follows
listing.)

 Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee
  * Indicates current Co-sponsor

    Republicans

   *VT Jeffords, Jim (Chair) 202-224-5141
    IN Coats, Dan  202-224-5623
    NH Gregg, Judd  202-224-3324
    TN Frist,Bill --  202-224-3344
    OH De Wine, Mike -- 202-224-2315
    WY Enzi, Michael  202-224-3424
    TX Hutchinson, Kay Bailey  202-224-5922
    ME Collins, Susan --  202-224-2523
    VA Warner, John --  202-224-2023
    KY McConnell, Mitch  202-224-2541

        All of the Democrats on the committee are ENDA cosponsors:
    *MA Kennedy, Edward
    *CT Dodd
    *IA Harkin
    *MD Mikulski
    *NM Bingaman
    *MN Wellstone
    *WA Murray
    *RI Reed                                       ................
_____________________________________________________________________________

For Immediate Release
October 23, 1997

Contact:  Janice Hughes
202-638-4200 x225

            STATEMENT BY PFLAG PRESIDENT NANCY MCDONALD ON ENDA

Everyone is affected by job discrimination. At Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), we know this all too well. Our sons,
daughters, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and friends can be fired from
their jobs with no effective recourse in 39 states simply on the basis of
sexual orientation.

On behalf of PFLAG's 70,000 member households, I strongly urge support for
the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA). Passage of ENDA would mean
that our loved ones will no longer need to live in fear of losing their
jobs because of who they are.

Even heterosexual people have been affected. Did you know a PFLAG mother in
Georgia - whose son had been murdered in an anti-gay hate crime - was fired
from her job because she spoke out publicly in a PFLAG campaign aimed at
curbing hate speech and violence?

PFLAG has affiliates in more than 400 communities across the country.  Most
often, people come to us for information and support when they find out
that a family member is gay. Our members can tell you that the stereotypes
of gay and lesbian people are false. Gay and lesbian people are your
neighbors, co-workers and possibly family members and friends.

Americans are strongly in agreement that people have a right to be judged
by the quality of their work performance and not by unrelated factors. A
recent national poll demonstrated that 85% of Americans believe employers
should not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

I hope that we can count on Congress to support all Americans and our
families. We cannot afford to give up on our commitment to a better nation
for all citizens.

PFLAG parents are available for telephone interviews.

###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.   Serving nearly 70,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 400 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.

1101 14th Street, N.W., Suite 1030, Washington, D.C. 20005 * (202) 638-4200
Fax: (202) 638-0243 * E-mail: [email-masked] * Web: http://www.pflag.org