Subject: PFLAG Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 15:29:39 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 4, 1997

CONTACT:
Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
202-638-4200

PFLAG PRESIDENT RESPONDS TO ADVERTISING
ATTACK ON AMERICAN AIRLINES
Emphasizes Support for Corporations Advocating Equality

        This morning, an advertisement was placed in several newspapers
across the country, including the Washington Times,  condemning the efforts
of American Airlines to serve all Americans equally, and promote the
American ideals of justice and fairness. The letter, which mentions
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) by name, was
signed by the leaders of several conservative so-called "pro-family"
organizations, including the American Family Association, Concerned Women
for America, Family Research Council and Focus on the Family.
        The following is a response by Nancy McDonald, National President
of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) to today's
advertisement.

        Several months ago, I wrote to Gary Bauer, President of Family
Research Council, as one parent to another.  In my letter I described my
journey after finding out that one of my daughters is a lesbian.  I wrote,
"I am sharing my story to remind you that difference and diversity can
brighten the lights of love, faith and freedom that you hope to keep
burning this year. I hope, as you outline your policy steps for the future,
you keep families like mine in mind."  When I saw the advertisement
condemning American Airlines this morning, what I felt was disappointment
-- disappointment that my efforts to reach out and find common ground had
been returned with a public attack on families like mine.
        I now find myself having to once again remind Mr. Bauer, and the
other signers of the letter, that there are thousands of American families
who believe the "American Way" is rooted in the values of tolerance, love
and appreciation of differences.
        I am not, as the advertisement implies, a "militant homosexual."  I
am a mother and a grandmother who believes that all of my children -- and
by extension, all people -- should be treated equally.  I know thousands of
others who share these beliefs. I had hoped that my outreach to Gary Bauer
would put an end to the name calling between organizations.  I am
disappointed to discover that I was wrong.
        I join thousands of other PFLAG families to applaud the efforts of
American Airlines, and other corporations like American Express, Apple,
Disney and IBM, who recognize that ending discrimination on the basis of
sexual orientation is not only good for business, but good for American
families nationwide.

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their
families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunity for
dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is
healthy, and respectful of diversity.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in more than 400 communities nationwide, with more than 68,000
household members.
                                                        ###