Subject: PFLAG To Receive International Human Rights Award
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:59:14 -0400 (EDT)

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release, Please

PFLAG TO RECEIVE BIENNIAL HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD
AT INTERNATIONAL GAY SPIRITUALITY CONFERENCE

Los Angeles -- Parents, Families and Friends of Gays and Lesbians (PFLAG) has
been named the recipient of the 1997 Human Rights Award presented by the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC). The
announcement was made this week by the Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder and
moderator of UFMCC.

	The international award will be presented on July 20 in Sydney, Australia
during opening ceremonies for UFMCC's General Conference XVIII. UFMCC's Human
Rights Award is presented biennially to organizations and individuals who
have furthered the cause of social and political justice.

	Previous recipients of UFMCC's Human Rights Award include Amnesty
International and the International Lesbian and Gay Association.

	Nancy McDonald, president of the board of directors of PFLAG, will accept
the award in Sydney, Australia. A mother and grandmother, McDonald is a
long-time community activist and educator who envisions "a time in which all
children are treated equally, and all people can respect each other's
differences."

	UFMCC will also present an award to salute the pioneering work of  PFLAG
Australia. Heather Horntvedt, vice president of PFLAG Australia, will accept
the award on behalf of the Australian organization. Horntvedt was
instrumental in lobbying the West Australian Parliament to enact gay-rights
provisions into its laws.

	"We recognize the invaluable contributions of PFLAG in strengthening the
cause of human rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
said the Rev. Troy D. Perry, UFMCC moderator. "We are pleased to salute
PFLAG's ongoing, three-fold commitment to support families, educate the
public and advocate on behalf of equal rights."

	"PFLAG has combined the work of social justice with a spirit of love and
compassion that is helping to transform our world one family at a time,"
Perry added.

	This year's UFMCC General Conference XVIII will feature a public rally at
Sydney's historic town hall, keynote addresses by internationally recognized
human rights activists and theologians, business and planning sessions, and
an extensive list of social and sightseeing options.

	Workshops and seminars will explore gay sexuality, spirituality, activism,
gay parenting, outreach to the g/l/b/t/ communities, addressing the faith
concerns of the gay community, AIDS ministry in a new era, and the use of
technology on behalf of gay spirituality.

	The international theme of UFMCC's General Conference XVIII is taken from
the words of Christ, "You are the light of the world." Extensive information
on this year's conference is available through UFMCC's website at
http://www.ufmcc.com.

	UFMCC was founded the Rev. Troy D. Perry, who serves as moderator of the
fast-growing denomination. A frequent international speaker at churches,
universities, and conferences, Perry has appeared on 60 Minutes, Phil
Donahue, Tomorrow with Tom Snyder, and The Mike Douglas Show.  UFMCC's story
has appeared in virtually every international news magazine.  Perry is the
recipient of awards from the American Civil Liberties Union, the Human Rights
Campaign, and the Gay Press Association.

	UFMCC is composed of more than 300 local congregations in 19 countries. With
a combined budget in excess of $10 million, the UFMCC churches comprise the
largest predominantly gay organization in the world.

	Additional information on UFMCC's General Conference XVIII is available by
writing UFMCC, 8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor, West Hollywood, CA
90069, by phoning (310) 360-8640, by e-mail at [email-masked], and at the
denomination's website at www.ufmcc.com.

(E N D)

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: UFMCC [email-masked]

Release Date: June, 1997