Subject: PFLAG Lauds Catholic Bishops' Message of Support
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:18:21 -0500

October 1, 1997
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Janice Hughes, [email-masked]
202/638-4200 Ext. 225

PFLAG Lauds Catholic Bishops' Message of Support to Parents Of Gays and
Lesbians

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays President Nancy
McDonald today praised the U.S. Catholic bishops for urging parents
nationwide to accept and love their gay and lesbian children.
        "We strongly support the U.S. bishops' willingness to reach out in
an open, inclusive way to mothers and fathers of gay and lesbian children,"
McDonald said.
        The National Conference of Catholic Bishops today issued a 20 page
pastoral statement - what it called an "outstretched hand" - to parents of
gays and lesbians.
        "It's a critical step forward in helping parents accept both
themselves as well as their loved ones," she said. "Our PFLAG local
chapters particularly welcome opening up channels of dialogue with Catholic
parishes in their hometowns."
        McDonald also lauded the bishops for urging parents to seek out
education and support groups. This year, PFLAG is hoping to increase
awareness about the need for "safe space" for gay youth in communities of
faith, as it has already done in schools nationwide.
        "This will help parents see that religion shouldn't come between
them and their children," said PFLAG member Rev. Jack Flynn of Orlando, FL.
"It's an opportunity for parents to feel free to 'come out' of the closet
in their Catholic communities and to receive love and support from others."
        Parents from several of PFLAG's 400 chapters said they are hopeful
that more parents will have the strength to stand by, and not abandon,
their gay and lesbian kids. In the letter, the bishops urged parents not to
break off contact with a child, warning that rejection can lead to suicide
or substance abuse.

President Nancy McDonald is available for interviews at 918 742-8565.
PFLAG parents are also available.

                                     ###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.   PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.   Serving more than 69,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 400 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.

1101 14th Street, N.W., Suite 1030 Washington, D.C. 20005 * (202) 638-4200
* Fax: (202) 638-0243 * E-mail: [email-masked] Web: http://www.pflag.org