Subject: PFLAG Press Release 8/14/97
From: [email-masked] with ESMTP (Apple Internet Mail Server 1.1.1); Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:36:56 -0500
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:37:40 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

August 14, 1997
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Janice Hughes, [email-masked]
202/638-4200 Ext. 225

PFLAG President Lauds APA's Call for Clients' Rights
to Unbiased Treatment in So-Called "Conversion" Therapy

         Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
President Nancy McDonald praised the overwhelming vote this week by the
nation's largest psychological group reaffirming its call for clients'
rights to unbiased treatment and its opposition to homophobia.
        McDonald noted that the American Psychological Association's Aug.
14 vote firmly backs the need for a professionally-neutral therapy
environment, free from any bias of society or provider.
        "If therapy does play any role in these matters, it is key for
families to understand that they live in a homophobic society," McDonald
said.
        McDonald and other PFLAG members also lauded APA's reassertion this
week that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus requires no
treatment.
        Like APA officials, they stressed that young people in particular
should have access to a professionally-neutral therapy environment.
        "We can understand that parents might want their children to
conform to society's expectations. At times, many PFLAG parents have felt
the same way," said former PFLAG President Mitzi Henderson.
        "We've learned, however, that this desire to change our children is
in response to the negative stereotypes of lesbian, gay and bisexual people
in our communities," Henderson continued. "Rather than try to change our
children, we have chosen to change our attitudes."
        One highlight of PFLAG's upcoming Sept. 11-14 meeting in Orlando,
Florida, is a Family-to-Family national helpline, a one-of-a-kind telephone
service for people who have recently learned that their child, family
member or friend is, or might be, gay, and want to talk to others in
similar situations. That number during the conference is 1-800-24-PFLAG.
        McDonald and PFLAG member Doug Upchurch, a survivor of "conversion"
therapy, are available for interviews.

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and secure civil rights. PFLAG provides opportunity for dialogue about
sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy, and
respectful of diversity. Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now organized in 400
communities nationwide, with more than 69,000 household members.

                                                         ###