Subject: PFLAG Job Openings
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:54:02 -0500

The national office of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
(PFLAG) currently has the following job openings.  To apply for
consideration, please send resume and cover letter by mail:

PFLAG
1101 14th Street, NW
Suite 1030
Washington, DC 20005

or by fax: (202) 638-0243

*****

Department: Communication Services
Title: Communications Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $30,000 - $40,000

General Responsibilities.  Develops national/local communications
strategies to promote organization's program, position and visibility.
Directs all aspects of PFLAG's media relations and publications programs.

1.  Develops communications strategies to achieve organization's goals,
including media relations and publications programs.

2.  Develops communications workplan and budget.

3.  Directs media relations program.

4.  Acts as editor-in-chief of all PFLAG publications and supervises work
of publications manager in developing and publishing membership
publications including The PFLAGpole, Tips and Tactics, the annual report,
new PFLAG educational publications, conference materials, and other PFLAG
materials.

5.   Oversees contracts with relevant consultants, service providers and
vendors.

Qualifications.

Excellent writing ability.
Journalism degree or equivalent with experience in journalism/media relations.
Well organized with ability to work on deadline.
Management and supervisory experience.
Demonstrated ability to work as member of a team.
Experience with gay and lesbian issues a plus.
Experience with grassroots membership organization a plus.

*****

Department: Communication Services
Title: Publications Manager
Reports To: Communications Director
Salary Range: $22,000 - $26,000

General Responsibilities.  Manages the development and publishing of all
PFLAG's publications.

1.  Manages production of The PFLAGpole, PFLAG's quarterly membership
newspaper, including writing, editing, design and printing.

2.  Manages production of Tips and Tactics, PFLAG's quarterly affiliate
leadership newsletter, including writing, editing, design and printing.

3.  Manages production of PFLAG educational publications, including content
development, writing, editing, design and printing.

4.  Manages production of the annual report, conference related materials
and other PFLAG communications and marketing publications.

5.  Manages relevant service providers, vendors and consultants.

Qualifications.

Excellent writing ability
Relevant degree and experience in publications production.
Well organized with proven ability to work on deadline.
Proven ability to work independently, and as a member of a team.
Experience with gay and lesbian issues a plus.
Experience with grassroots membership organization a plus.

*****

Department: Communication Services
Title: Publications Assistant
Reports To: Publications Manager
Salary Range: $18,000 - $20,000

General Responsibilities.   As a member of the communications team at
PFLAG, the assistant implements and supports the PFLAG publications program
workplan.

1.  Researches, writes, edits and proofs PFLAG publications.

2.  Assists in identifying and selecting various program vendors,
consultants and service providers.

3.  Assists in recruiting and supervising volunteer professionals to
support the publications program.

4.  Provides administrative support to department.

5.  Oversees maintenance of department databases, files, lists.

Qualifications.

Excellent writing ability
Relevant degree or experience in journalism, publishing.
Well organized with ability to work on deadline.
Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team.
Experience with gay and lesbian issues a plus.
Experience with grassroots membership organization a plus.

*****

Department: Program and Policy
Job Title: Regional Program Associate
Reports to: Program and Policy Director
Salary: $22,000 plus health benefits, vacation, sick leave

General Responsibilities:

The Regional Program Associate is one of three regional program associates
(Western, Central and Eastern) on the Program and Policy team. The
associate is responsible for managing PFLAG programs, issues and Chapter
development for the PFLAG chapters, leaders and members in their respective
region to further PFLAG'S ENDS.

Major Job Functions:

1. Serves as a one-stop shop for all PFLAG members/chapters in their region
for information on advocacy, issues, projects, training, chapter
development strategic planning.

2. Works with PFLAG's Regional Directors, members, leaders and chapters in
their region to mobilize around national and local issues and programs that
further PFLAG's ENDS.

3. Manages one or more specific projects to the desired outcome(s) and
facilitates involvement of other team members in executing project
components in their regions.

4. Manages one or more specific issue areas with direction from the
department director(s) and facilitates the involvement of other team
members in creating and executing advocacy goals with PFLAG's grassroots
infrastructure.

5. Assists in writing action alerts, position papers, newsletter articles
and other materials related to associate's special projects and issue
areas.

6. Responsible for serving as a back up to other team members in their
absence when activations or assistance is required to cover regional needs.

7. Serves as a liaison between PFLAG national, activists in the associate's
region and coalition partners in Washington for outreach, information and
advocacy.

8. Assists in organizing and conducting training activities related to
their region and areas of specialization.

Qualifications:

Qualified candidates will have excellent skills, at least one year of
experience in grassroots organizing for issue and/or electoral campaigns, a
high energy level and be creative team players. Prior participation in
electoral politics, grassroots organizing or intensive leadership training
programs a plus. Mac experience required. Candidates must submit cover
letter, resume and 2 short (one page) writing sample.

*****

Department: Development
Position Title: Direct Mail / Membership / Marketing Manager
Reports to: Development Director
Salary Range: $22,000 - $26,000

General Responsibilities:

Responsible for developing and implementing marketing programming at PFLAG,
including: member recruitment and retention, publication and product sales,
national conference, and new market cultivation.

Major Job Functions:

1. Develop and implement successful publication and product sales marketing
program, including cultivation of new markets.

2. A. Work with direct mail consultants and service providers, act as
PFLAG's agent for direct response programs, including coordination of
organizational input to direct mail and telemarketing programs. Monitor
results.

B. Maintain all relevant files.

C. Insure quality control of direct response and acknowledgement programs,
including copy editing, approval of list plans and mailing segmentation and
appropriateness of acknowledgement letters and ancillary materials.

D. Insure up-to-date list maintenance and accuracy of membership database,
including processing in-house changes to lists and implementing necessary
quality control procedures.

3. Coordinate marketing efforts for annual conference and special events.

4. Establish beneficial ties and programming with vendors, allies, and
commercial ventures to create affinity programs.

5. Work as an effective member of the staff team.

Qualifications:

1. Relevant degree or minimum two years experience with direct mail
programs and marketing.
2. Strong writing, copy editing and proof reading skills.
3. Customer service oriented, with excellent attention to detail and follow-up.
4. Well organized with ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines,
coordinate multiple tasks and a operate as a team player.
5. Able to set priorities and work independently.
6. Knowledge of gay and lesbian issues.