Subject: PFLAG Executive Director Resigns
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:41:33 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

October 16, 1997
Contact: Janice Hughes 202-638-4200 ext. 225
	 Nancy McDonald 918-742-8565

PFLAG EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RESIGNS FROM POST

	Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
President Nancy McDonald has announced that PFLAG Executive Director Sandra
Gillis is resigning from her post.
        "Sandra has made tremendous contributions to PFLAG,"  McDonald
said. "We were very pleased with her leadership and are sad to see her go."
	McDonald praised Gillis for making PFLAG a formidable force for
change during her four and a half years at the helm. Gillis'
accomplishments include tripling the PFLAG membership to 70,000 households
and expanding the grassroots network to 400-plus chapters serving
communities in all 50 states, Washington, DC and eleven countries.
       Under Gillis' leadership, PFLAG's revenue rose from $700,000 in
late 1992 to more than $1.7 million on September 30, 1997, the close of
this fiscal year, McDonald continued. When Gillis took over, PFLAG was
within two weeks of closing its doors because of financial problems.
        A staff-initiated fund has been set up in Gillis' name to build
further PFLAG's powerful, activist grassroots network of parents and family
members who support their gay and lesbian loved ones.
        PFLAG is also more accessible than ever, with its award-winning web
site, six new publications and increased national visibility.
        Further, PFLAG launched its most ambitious campaign, Project Open
Mind, an historic national media effort and public education campaign based
on a project Gillis proposed in 1993. The first television ads gained
unprecedented visibility for PFLAG, with an estimated $3 million in earned
media publicity alone.
        Project Open Mind changed the six U.S. pilot communities forever.
National press coverage - coupled with local library displays, cable TV
shows, billboards, print ads and speaking engagements - enabled PFLAG to
deliver the message to Americans that hate speech, which creates a climate
of violence against gays and lesbians, must be stopped. This campaign
opened new doors for PFLAG, enlisting as allies religious and educational
institutions, civic and community groups and thousands of fair-minded
Americans.
 PFLAG's increased credibility has brought the group to the table
with national political leaders, including President Clinton, Attorney
General Janet Reno and officials in the federal Education Department's
Office for Civil Rights, among others, this spring. PFLAG was the only
gay-identified group to present at the President's Summit on America's
Future.
        Gillis has agreed to serve as a resource for the PFLAG Board of
Directors during the organization's transition period and its search for a
successor, McDonald noted.
        Gillis, herself a lesbian, is the mother of three children, one of
whom is a lesbian.

Note: Attached is Gillis' statement of resignation.

  				###

Statement of Resignation by PFLAG Executive Director Sandra Gillis
October 16, 1997

I was chosen to serve as Executive Director of Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays in 1993 to build and unify PFLAG's voice at
the grassroots level, boost the organization's national visibility and
establish much-needed financial stability. I have achieved these goals and
more:

* increased revenue to more than $1.7 million dollars for an  organization
which, when I was appointed, was within two weeks of closing its doors due
to financial problems;
*  tripled PFLAG membership to 70,000 households, mobilizing more families
than ever before in support of gays and lesbians;
*  doubled its grassroots network to more than 400 chapters - up from
approximately 200 - ensuring that PFLAG's message reaches new audiences;
*  oversaw evolution of PFLAG in becoming a major influence in changing
attitudes about gays and lesbians in America; and
*  produced Project Open Mind, PFLAG's groundbreaking public education
campaign to counter hate speech against gays and lesbians.

I was able to achieve this growth with the overwhelming support and shared
vision of PFLAG's leaders, members and donors.

Our work together has been exciting but - as a parent and leader - I can
testify that all growth is accompanied by growing pains. This is a critical
juncture for PFLAG. The group has the potential to become even stronger,
and I hope PFLAG's membership will unite to achieve that potential.

After four and a half years at my post,  I am resigning.  My work has been
accomplished and PFLAG is now poised to take the next dramatic leap
forward.

It has been an honor and privilege to work with skilled and talented staff
members, dedicated Board members, PFLAG's courageous straight and gay
members and our committed allies. Together we have brought about real
change.
   					###

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.   PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.   Serving approximately 69,000 members,
PFLAG affiliates are located in more than 400 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.

1101 14th Street, N.W., Suite 1030 Washington, D.C. 20005 * (202) 638-4200
* Fax: (202) 638-0243 * E-mail: [email-masked] Web: http://www.pflag.org