Subject: PFLAG Alert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:06:12 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
August 20, 1997

PFLAG ALERT:

Look this week in your newspaper to see if the comic strip "For Better or
For Worse" runs. The storyline is expected to center on a gay character,
Lawrence, whose earlier presence on the "funny pages" created a bit of a
public uproar several years ago among conservative groups. They are expected
to take action this week too.

Your newspaper's decision to run Lynn Johnston's comic strip this week and
its portrayal of Lawrence is right on target and deserves public
acknowledgement. So why not give your local publisher a pat on the back?

And a note to our Canadian PFLAG chapters: Johnston hails from your side of
the border! So Canadians, you might want to put a special note of thanks
into your letter to the editor about that!

The comic strip, which is expected to run Aug. 20-23, typically is picked
up in 1,700
newspapers, said an official with Kansas City-based Universal Press
Syndicate, which provides such services to newspapers.

Tips for writing a Letter to the Editor:

You can usually find information about sending a letter to the editor on
the same page as the current letters in the newspaper. If you cannot find
the information, call the newspaper and ask.

Include your daytime phone number and home address with zip code at the
bottom of your letter.

Before you e-mail a letter, or fax through a computer, check with your
local newspaper. Many newspapers require your signature at the bottom of
letters.

                                SAMPLE - SAMPLE - SAMPLE

To the Editor:

As the (mother/father/sister/brother/friend etc.) of a (l/g/b/t) person,
I would like to express my support for the fair-mindedness shown in the
comic strip "For Better or For Worse" running in your paper this week.

My family -- and others who are members of the 400-chapter Parents,
Families, Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) -- find it extremely
important for gay figures to be represented in the media. We applaud your
decision to carry this particular strip and to perhaps open the way, step
by step, to other families so they too can come closer together in
understanding their loved ones.

Lynn Johnston's work is family-friendly and deserves attention not censorship.

Sincerely,

Your name
Your address
Your daytime phone