Subject: PFLAG BOARD RENEWS CALL TO BATTLE DISNEY BOYCOTT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:31:46 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 20, 1997

CONTACT:        Janice Hughes,  [email-masked]
                          202/638-4200

PFLAG BOARD RENEWS CALL TO BATTLE DISNEY BOYCOTT

        The national Board of Directors of Parents, Families and Friends of
Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has renewed its call to fight the latest attempt
by the Southern Baptist Convention to boycott the Walt Disney Co.
        PFLAG boardmembers agreed last weekend to strongly urge PFLAG's
nearly 70,000 members, 400 affiliates and other fair-minded Americans to
show their support for Disney's equal employment policies by joining PFLAG
in Orlando, home of Walt Disney World, during the group's upcoming Sept.
11-14 annual conference.
        Preparations are now underway to carry out a public action on Sept.
15 in Orlando in support of Disney.
        PFLAG President Nancy McDonald and other boardmembers -- many who
are parents of gays and lesbians -- vowed to bolster public awareness about
the need to oppose any boycott attempt.
        "Open discrimination and hostility simply divides American families
rather than bringing them together. We want our children to experience love
without fear and harassment," McDonald said after the board's Aug. 16-17
meeting in Washington, DC.
        And most Americans apparently disagree with the Southern Baptists'
effort, according to a telephone poll of 753 adults this summer by
Princeton Survey Research Associates for Newsweek. Nearly 80 percent of
those polled said they would refuse to participate in boycott activities.
        The PFLAG board held the regularly-scheduled session to set
organizational priorities for 1998 and carry out its annual review of
organizational performance and management. The board expressed its
confidence in McDonald and Executive Director Sandra Gillis, PFLAG's
volunteer leadership and staff.
        A 1998 goal will be to continue its focus to create more "safe
space" for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth where there is no
visible support for these youth, agreed PFLAG boardmembers.
        Another PFLAG aim for next year will be to expand the group's
historic Project Open Mind campaign beyond its initial six U.S. cities, to
boost awareness about the devastating effects of hate speech and harassment
on gay people and their families.
        Among the accomplishments reviewed by the board during the meeting
include PFLAG's exponential growth in membership from 20,000 in 1993 to
69,000 this year. In addition, the national organization's budget has
jumped to more than $1.7 million this year, from approximately $700,000 in
1993.
                                                           ###
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their families
and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education,
to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination
and to secure civil rights.   PFLAG provides an opportunity for dialogue
about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity.   Serving more than 69,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in more than 400 communities across the United
States, and in 11 other countries.