Subject: Senate Votes on ENDA/DOMA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:17:46 -0400

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 10, 1996

CONTACT:  Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
          Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
          202/638-4200

STATEMENT OF MITZI HENDERSON, PFLAG PRESIDENT
WHO PRESENTED TESTIMONY DURING SENATE DOMA HEARINGS
ON TODAY'S GAY RIGHTS SENATE VOTES

        Today's passage of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in the Senate
is a great disappointment to the members of Parents, Families and Friends
of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG). It did not, however, come as a surprise. It
is no secret that religious conservatives, who claim to promote family
values, have forced same-gender marriage to the forefront of the political
debate just in time for the elections. Why else would Congress be working
so hard to take away rights that our lesbian and gay friends and family
members do not even have?
        While the defeat of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)
did deal a double blow to families, the one vote margin of loss offered
hope to PFLAG members across the country. To have an anti-discrimination
bill debated, and almost passed, in the same election year that has
encouraged hateful rhetoric about same-gender marriage marks a significant
shift. We are proud of the Senators who today saw through the political
smokescreen to cast a vote against workplace discrimination.
        PFLAG, through testimony, telephone calls, and an ad in Thursday's
Roll Call newspaper, has tried to educate our nation's leaders about the
harmful effects of anti-gay speeches, like those heard during earlier
Congressional DOMA debates. Today we heard several Senators demean our gay
and lesbian loved ones. But we also heard more Senators than ever before
stand up to defend the rights of tax-paying Americans, regardless of their
sexual orientation. Our loss on paper, of today's votes, is eased by the
knowledge that we are making progress in our education of our leaders about
our gay and lesbian friends and family members.

        Mitzi Henderson testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee
during the DOMA hearings conducted in July, following the testimony of
PFLAG Vice President, Nancy McDonald, during the House DOMA hearings. A
local PFLAG leader also testified in support of ENDA before a House
Committee in August.
        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons, their
families, and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in 400 communities throughout the country, with 65,000 household
members.