Subject: PFLAG Release 9.6.96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:59:54 -0400

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Friday, September 6, 1996

CONTACT:        Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
                Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
                202/638-4200

AS THE SENATE DEBATES ENDA
PFLAG CALLS ON LEADERS TO REFRAIN FROM USING HATE SPEECH

        Members of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays will
watch today's Senate debate on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act
(ENDA), hoping that their campaign to stop anti-gay hate speech in the
halls of Congress has been successful. The national support, education and
advocacy organization has published an advertisement in the current issue
of Roll Call newspaper asking elected leaders to consider the effect that
anti-gay rhetoric has on the families of lesbian and gay Americans. PFLAG
decided to run the ad after witnessing the often vitriolic debate that took
place in the House over the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
        "When our nation's leaders demean our friends and family members in
the halls of Congress, we know we have more educating to do," said Mitzi
Henderson, President of PFLAG. "We understand that hate speech heightens
emotions, encourages stereotyping, and intensifies, rather than heals, the
divisions that afflict us as a nation. We want our leaders to realize these
consequences of inflammatory language as they prepare their floor
speeches."

        PFLAG members have long worked in support of ENDA, which would stop
discrimination in hiring and firing practices based on sexual orientation.
In March, more than 200 parents from PFLAG chapters across the United
States traveled to Washington, D.C. to educate their representative about
ENDA's impact on their families.
        PFLAG has also been educating Congress about their gay and lesbian
friends and family members, as the debate around DOMA has escalated.
Henderson testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in July,
following testimony given by PFLAG Vice President, Nancy McDonald, before
the House in May, making PFLAG the only organization to testify before both
houses of Congress about DOMA.
        During PFLAG's annual conference, to take place near Washington,
D.C. October 11-14, PFLAG members will again have the opportunity to lobby
and establish relationships with their Congressional members and their
staff.

        Mitzi Henderson will be available for comment on the ENDA debate
after 1 p.m. today, and  mmediately following the DOMA vote, expected
Tuesday, September 11. Please contact PFLAG's national office at
202/638-4200 for more information.

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons, their
families, and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.   Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in 400 communities throughout the United States, with 65,000
household members.