Subject: PFLAG Press Release
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:06:27 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 27, 1996
CONTACT:  Shelley Golden, [email-masked]
          Rob Banaszak, [email-masked]
          202/638-4200

PFLAG APPLAUDS ROSEANNE FOR SHOWING
GAY AND LESBIAN ISSUES AS TYPICAL FAMILY DIALOGUE

        The members of PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and
Gays (PFLAG) commend the producers of ABC's sitcom, Roseanne, for painting
gay, lesbian and bisexual family issues as simply a part of a typical
Thanksgiving dinner. On the show, a gay couple discusses adopting a child
and Roseanne's mother inadvertently comes out as a lesbian. While both of
these do spark family discussion, it is the absence of her husband, and the
lack of blisters on her hands -- not these issues -- that make Roseanne
feel a sense of sadness.

        "Roseanne's Thanksgiving show sends the message that gay people,
along with pregnant daughters, eccentric grandmothers and over-organizing
sons-in-law, make up the fabric of our families," said PFLAG President
Nancy McDonald. "The families and friends of lesbian, gay and bisexual
people are particularly pleased that Roseanne chose a holiday episode to
showcase these issues, since many people choose this time of year to come
out to their families. Roseanne's fictional example could ease tensions and
facilitate discussion at real-life dinner tables across the country."

        For many PFLAG families, the show struck a personal chord in their
lives. "As a mother who just came out to my family and my community, it was
particularly moving for me to see a family accept a mom as she comes to
terms with being a lesbian," said Pat Stone, co-president of PFLAG Dallas.
"That the character was obviously dealing with some internalized homophobia
also struck me as important. I have had to twice face society's negative
stereotypes of gay and lesbian people -- once when my daughter came out
eight years ago, and then again while coming to terms with my own
homosexuality. Each time it was easier knowing that others have travelled
the same journey."

        Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons, their
families, and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society;
education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end
discrimination and secure civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunity for
dialogue about sexual orientation, and acts to create a society that is
healthy, and respectful of diversity.  Founded in 1981, PFLAG is now
organized in 400 communities in every state, with 65,000 household members.