Subject: DOMA Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 17:56:00 -0400

CONTACT YOUR SENATORS NOW
ASK THEM TO VOTE NO ON DOMA AND VOTE YES ON ENDA

The full Senate will consider and vote on the mis-named "Defense of
Marriage Act" (DOMA) on Thursday, September 5.  The House already passed
DOMA 342-67 and your Senators need to hear from you now.

To be connected with your Senators, call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at
202-224-3121.

Vote NO on DOMA
DOMA (The "Defense of Marriage Act") is unnecessary -- since no state
permits same gender marriage and the Hawaii courts will not come to a final
decision for at least two years.

DOMA is discriminatory since it would deny same gender couples the same
federal rights and responsibilities granted to heterosexual couples.

The federal government has never in its history defined marriage -- states
do.  At least 18 of the states which introduced anti-marriage legislation
have defeated or withdrawn such legislation, including: Alabama, Colorado,
Florida, Hawaii, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, Virginia,
Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Vote YES on ENDA
The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) would prohibit discrimination
in the workplace based on sexual orientation.  ENDA may be introduced as an
amendment to DOMA.  Urge your Senators to vote YES on ENDA if it is
considered.