From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 12:22:48 -0400 (EDT)

Summary of Questions  (current as of June 1994)

1:  Who is NOGLSTP?
2:  Are bisexuals welcome as NOGLSTP members?
3:  What is NOGLSTP?
4:  I hate to say this but these acronyms aren't too catchy.
5:  Why is NOGLSTP in existence?
6:  Does NOGLSTP have a newsletter? 
7:  Where do membership dues go?
8:  Anything besides pamphlets?
9:  Are there local chapters?
10: What is the NOGLSTP electronic distribution list?  
11: How can I get on that list?
12: Is the newsletter available from the electronic distribution list?
13: I hear that there's a list of members on-line.  What's that all about?
14: Do I need to be on that list to be on the electronic list?
15: Where can I get more information?
16: Where do I sent comments/questions about the FAQ, itself?

1:  Who is NOGLSTP?

The National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical
Professionals, NOGLSTP, is a national organization of gays and
lesbians employed or interested in scientific or high technology
fields.

2:  Are bisexuals welcome as NOGLSTP members?

Although the word bisexaul is not in our name, NOGLSTP wecolmes people
of all sexual orientations and gender identities including gay,
lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and yes, even heterosexual.

3:  What is NOGLSTP?

There are two faces to NOGLSTP, the organization and the electronic
distribution list.

The organization is a membership born in January 1980 that sprung out
from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAS) to
address issues of homophobia in the scientific workplace.  The first
group was called the National Organization of Lesbian and Gay
Scientists (NOLGS).  NOGLSTP is a non-profit educational organization,
and is an affiliate member of AAAS.

4:  I hate to say this but these acronyms aren't too catchy.

Try to pronounce NOGLSTP to make it easier.  The official word is
"naugulstep" or "nogulstop".  There's also "'nugglestop" and the ever
popular "No-Glis-Ta-Pah". :-)

5:  Why is NOGLSTP in existence?

NOGLSTP provides many things simply by bringing people together who
have an interest in gay issues and are in the scientific and technical
community.  Generally, NOGLSTP provides the opportunity to network
socially and professionally with others in similar fields, serves as a
resource for public awareness of gay concerns in the scientific and
technical community, and provides a central forum for informing and
discussing gay issues affecting those the scientific and technical
community.

6:  Does NOGLSTP have a newsletter? 

Yes, there is a quarterly newsletter available to NOGLSTP members.  It
is sent by standard postal mail to members, prospective members and
some publications and organizations.  The newsletter discusses
relevant information to the Gay and scientific communities, as well
as, NOGLSTP, caucus, regional and project news.

7:  Where do membership dues go?

Along with producing and distributing the newsletter, dues go to plan
and support the many educational projects of interest to NOGLSTP
members.  Some of the pamphlets developed to date cover issues such as
the biology of homosexuality; lesbian, bisexual and gay scientists of
historical interest; and a survey of attitudes during security
clearance interviews.

8:  Anything besides pamphlets?

Yes, in 1990, NOGLSTP helped to organize a conference at California
Institute of Technology on "Homophobia in the Sciences".  And just
this year, a symposium was presented to the AAAS National Meeting
entitled "Social, Ethical and Scientific Perspectives of Research on
the Biology of Homosexuality."  Between these two events are a number
of other successful projects and more are currently underway.

9:  Are there local chapters?

The answer is yes.  At the time this FAQ is being written, the contact
information isn't available.  When information comes in, I will be
updating this section.

10: What is the NOGLSTP electronic distribution list?  

The electronic distribution list, sometimes referred to as a "dl" or
"email list" allows NOGLSTP members and non-members to read and send
electronic messages (email) that are of interest to other subscribers
of the distribution list.

11: How can I get on that list?

If you can send email to the Internet, you can get on the NOGLSTP
electronic distribution list.  Send a message to
[email-masked].  In your message, be sure to
include your preferred email address.

12: Is the newsletter available from the electronic distribution list?

No, it's not.  The newsletter is a benefit for NOGLSTP members and
prospective members.  If you are thinking about joining NOGLSTP, send
us your postal address and we will send you the current newsletter and
one upcoming issue free.  Hopefully, it will help to convince you to
become a member.

13: I hear that there's a list of members on-line.  What's that all about?

Available is a bios list of members on the electronic distribution
list with a quick description of their academic degrees and/or
professional background.  You can access the latest copy of this
list from the electronic list or from the Queer Resources Directory
available from the Internet.

14: Do I need to be on that list to be on the electronic list?

That's entirely up to you.  The list is available with the intention
of connecting people in similar fields or with similar interests.

15: Where can I get more information?

Send your postal address to [email-masked], or a SASE to the
NOGLSTP office, PO BOX 91803 Pasadena CA 91109, requesting more
information.  NOGLSTP will send you a sample newsletter and brochure.

16: Where do I send comments/questions about the FAQ, itself?

If you want to see something added, or found a typo or misinformation,
send a note to Dominick Galang at [email-masked].

-- 
Dominick M. Galang        \\ [email-masked]          ...!osf.org!sandman
DCE Systems Engineering   // Open Software Foundation, Cambridge MA  USA