Subject: [NGLTF Press] RNC uses military issue to bash GLBT people
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:03:11 -0500

**********************************************************************

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

Contact:
David Elliot, Communications Director
202-332-6483 ext. 3303
800-757-6476 pager
[email-masked]

http://www.ngltf.org
1700 Kalorama Road NW, Washington, DC
**********************************************************************

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE USES `DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL' AS A 
VEHICLE FOR MORE BASHING OF GLBT PEOPLE, NGLTF WARNS

Jan. 10, 2000 - New Republican National Committee (RNC) TV ads on the
"Don't ask, don't tell" policy are a continuation of the Republican Party's
efforts to portray gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people as
unworthy of equal rights, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force 
said Monday.

According to recent published reports, the RNC plans to air TV spots on
the issue in Iowa, New Hampshire, and other key primary states.
"Don't ask, don't tell" is a flawed policy that has resulted in increased
discharges of servicemen and women and, contrary to its stated goal, has 
led to well-publicized witchhunts against gay, lesbian and bisexual people.

A report recently released by the Policy Institute of the National Gay
and Lesbian Task Force shows overwhelming opposition to sexual
orientation-based discrimination in the military, even among conservatives.
The report, "From Wrongs to Rights: Public Opinion on Gay and Lesbian 
Americans Moves Toward Equality 1973-1999," authored by Columbia University
political scientist Alan Yang, reveals that American public opinion is
more supportive of equality than are most lawmakers and politicians.

*****Attention reporters and producers: Next week, NGLTF will release a
brand new report detailing the presidential candidates' positions on issues of 
interest to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered voters.*****

Both Vice President Gore and Bill Bradley have stated their intention to end
"Don't ask, don't tell" if elected. Republican candidates, on the other hand,
have expressed varying degrees of support for the policy. On Sunday,
Senator John McCain said comments by the two Democratic candidates disqualified
both of them from the presidency. Both McCain and George W. Bush have
expressed support for the discriminatory policy.

Rebecca Isaacs, NGLTF political director, noted that polls show both the
Republican presidential candidates and the RNC to be clearly out of touch
on the issue of ending discrimination. For example, a 1999 Gallup survey showed
70 percent of respondents favor the right of gays and lesbians to serve in the
military. And a 1996 National Elections Studies survey showed 57 percent of
conservatives, 70 percent of moderates and 91 percent of liberals support
ending discrimination.

"The anti-gay conservatives have not heard that it's a new millennium,"
Isaacs said. "These ads pander to the extreme right wing and risk alienating
mainstream voters who will decide this election." 

______________________________________________________________________________________

Founded in 1973, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force works to eliminate
prejudice, violence and injustice against gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered people at the local, state and national level. As part of a
broader social justice movement for freedom, justice and equality, NGLTF is
creating a world that respects and celebrates the diversity of human
expression and identity where all people may fully participate in society.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
This message was issued by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Communications Department.  If you have a question regarding this post, please
direct it to the contact at the top of this message.

To reach the NGLTF Communications Department at NGLTF, please call David
Elliot, Communications Director, at 202-332-6483 x3303 or pager 800-757-6476.
 
If you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, please send an email message
with your request to [email-masked].