Subject: NGLTF Flash Points - 3/16
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:04:52 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
FLASH POINTS

Contact:  Robin Kane         (202) 332-6483 ext. 3311
                                         (800) 757-7736 pager
            
2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   20009
*************************************************

FLASH POINT -- March 16, 1995

Pontiac, MI -- Vigil for Scott Amedure -- April 4, 1995
 
 Issue:  Last Thursday, March 9, a gay man named Scott Amedure was shot to
death while he stood unarmed in the doorway of his trailer home.  Three days
prior to his murder, Amedure appeared as a guest on a segment of the Jenny
Jones Show focusing on "Secret Admirers."  Amedure, who is gay, was invited
onto the show to reveal his "secret crush" on another man.  That man, John
Schmitz, said he was surprised and embarrassed by the public revelation and
is currently under arrest for murdering Amedure.  According to police, the
suspect bought a shotgun and ammunition, went to Amedure's mobile home and
shot him twice in the chest after a struggle.
 Wire stories, the Washington Post, The New York Times and National Public
Radio commentary have all focused attention on the humiliation faced by talk
show guests who are ambushed or surprised on air.  This is the same angle
taken by the sheriff's lieutenant in Detroit and by the county prosecutor.
 This angle, say many local and national activists, ignores the real issue --
one man was murdered last week simply because he was gay.
 "Contrary to media coverage of this event," said NGLTF spokesperson Robin
Kane, "'surprise,'  'humiliation' and the Jenny Jones Show did not lead to
Amedure's murder.  Instead, it is the rampant homophobia of this culture that
is at the root of this murder.
 Community organizations in Michigan will host a Candlelight Vigil in Memory
of Scott Amedure on Tuesday, April 4, the date of Schmitz's arraignment.  The
vigil and speakout against homophobia will be held at the Oakland County
Courthouse, 1200 Telegraph in Pontiac, at 7 p.m.  Another Michigan gay man,
Gary Rocus of Dearborn Heights, was murdered in November in a separate
anti-gay assault.

 Local contact:  Jan Stevenson, Executive Director of Affirmations (the
Lesbian/Gay Community Center) and board member of NGLTF, (810) 398-7105 ext.
14; Jeff Montgomery, Triangle Foundation (anti-violence project), (313)
537-3323.

 NGLTF contact: Robin Kane, NGLTF Public Information Director, (202)
332-6483, ext. 3311; 800-757-7736 pager; [email-masked].

 Additional resources:  For a commentary available for reprint on the media
response to Amedure's murder, contact NGLTF at (202) 332-6483, ext. 3215.

Juneau, AK -- Alaska State Legislature Moves to Ban Same-Sex Marriage and
Domestic Partnership -- Legislation Pending

 Issue:  Two bills filed in the Alaska state legislature make Alaska the
third state this year to enter the battle over same-sex unions.  HB 226,
which would prevent domestic partner benefits,  and HB 227, which would ban
recognition of same-sex marriage, could have national implications if the
state of Hawaii, currently deliberating the marriage rights of same-sex
couples , should grant marriage rights to same-sex couples in the near
future.  At present, no U.S. state allows legal marriage for same-sex couples
though many municipalities and the state of Vermont provide domestic partner
benefits to government employees.
 Several lesbian, gay and bisexual civil rights organizations across the
state have begun a campaign to oppose the bills.  NGLTF organizers Scot
Nakagawa and Curt Shepard will provide on-site organizing assistance for
local activists next month.

 Local contact: Amy Young, Equal: Alaska's Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Task
Force, (907) 279-3982.  Laura Burleson, Alaska Gay & Lesbian Association,
(907) 474-6036.  Alison Medals, Alaskans for Civil Rights, (907) 279-5001.

 NGLTF contact: Scot Nakagawa, NGLTF organizer, (503) 283-1811:
[email-masked].

Salt Lake City, UT -- "Olympics Out of Utah" Campaign Begins After State Bans
Same-Sex Marriage

 Issue:  Utah activists announced a campaign to squelch that state's bid to
host the 2002 Winter Olympics after state legislators voted to ban
recognition of same-sex marriages legalized in other states earlier this
month.  The Olympics Out of Utah campaign will follow the strategies used by
the successful Olympics Out of Cobb effort.  In July, Olympics Out of Cobb
succeeded in moving 1996 Olympic events from Cobb County, Ga due to Cobb's
anti-gay legislation.  
 Utah is one of four locations vying to host the international competition.
 The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will announce its decision on June
16.

 Local contact: David Nelson, Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats, (801) 238-2526.

 NGLTF contact: Robin Kane, public information director, 202-332-6483, ext.
3311; 800-757-7736 pager; [email-masked] or Robert Bray, NGLTF field
organizer, at (415) 552-6448; [email-masked].

 Additional contacts:  Anita DeFrantz, US representative of the IOC, (213)
730-9600, 2002 Winter Olympics Utah Bid Committee, (801) 322-2002.