Subject: NGLTF October Activist Alert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 12:12:02 -0400

*************************************************
NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
          
             ACTIVIST ALERT

SEPTEMBER 1995

2320 17th Street, NW  Washington, DC   20009
(202) 332-6483    FAX (202) 332-0207    TTY (202) 332-6219
EMAIL [email-masked]
*************************************************
UNDO 2: A DAY OF ACTION
MONDAY, OCTOBER 9

     On October 10th, the US Supreme Court will hear the Colorado Amendment 2
case, Romer v. Evans.  The ruling, expected in the spring, will have
significant implications not only for Coloradans, but for gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender people throughout the country.  In 1992, Coloradans
for Family Values successfully introduced and passed Amendment  2, which
overturns existing protections against discrimination based on sexual
orientation and prohibits such protections in the future.  Fortunately,
Amendment 2 was challenged in the Colorado courts and ruled unconstitutional.
 Romer v Evans is an appeal to the Colorado court's decision.

     Responding to the call for action from a statewide coalition of Colorado
 groups--including Equality Colorado and Ground Zero--NGLTF and activists
across the country have organized UNDO 2 - A DAY OF ACTION.  In at least 27
locations throughout the country, activists will come together to undo 2.
  From a singout and candlelight vigil in Tucson Arizona Supreme Court to a
demo in front of the federal building in downtown Las Vegas, this day of
action will let the Supreme Court and the nation know that the gay, lesbian,
bi, and transgender community nationwide is unified and organized and will be
vigilant in ensuring that Amendment 2 and all similar measures are ultimately
defeated.   This day of action will also serve as the foundation for a
unified national response  on the day the decision is handed down.

Action:
     Attend the UNDO 2 event in your area.  On the following page you will
find a list of  participants that were confirmed as the Activist Alert went
to press.       

     Call the NGLTF Undo 2 Hotline  (202) 332-6483 ext 3310 (or contact us at
[email-masked]) if:
 >> you don't see your community listed--many other communities are in the
process of organizing an action for November 9. 
 >> you want to organize an October 9th action in your community
  order the  UNDO 2 Action Kit and educate your community about one of the
most important Supreme Court cases in our movement's history Action Kits are
$2
 >> you are interested in becoming  part of our UNDO 2 Action Network
  organize your community to respond on the day the decision is handed down.

Alaska     
Laura Burleson 
(907) 479-7348

Arizona
Phoenix
Dianne Post
(602) 258-7985
Tucson
Tucson Lesbian & Gay Alliance
Kenny Jacobs
(520) 751-4652

California
San Diego  
Russel David Roybal 
[email-masked]
San Francisco
GLAAD-SFBA
(415) 861-2244

Colorado
Equality Colorado
(303) 839-5540
Colorado Springs
Ground Zero
(719) 635-6086

Florida
Tampa Bay
Human Rights Task Force
Nadine Smith
(813) 443-6016
[email-masked]

Georgia
Atlanta  
Antonia
(404) 584-9224

Idaho
Coeur d'Alene 
People Like Us
(208) 667-4523
[email-masked]

Illinois
Chicago 
Illinois Federation for Human Rights
(312) 477-7173

Kentucky
Louisville
Fairness Campaign
(502) 893-0788

Louisiana
Louisiana Electorate of Gays & Lesbians
(504) 525-7117

Massachusetts
Cambridge
Brad Hoylman
(617) 576-9188

Michigan
Detroit
Triangle Foundation
(313) 537-3323

Missouri
Kansas City 
Human Rights Project
(816) 753-1672
St. Louis
Privacy Rights Education Project
(314) 862-4900

New York
New York City
Project Reach
(212) 966-4227

North Carolina
NC Pride Pac
(919) 829-0343

Ohio
Cincinnati
Stonewall Cincinnati
(513) 541-8778

Oregon
Portland
Leslie Griep
(503) 280-0733
Eugene
Citizens Against Discrimination
PFLAG Eugene-Springfield
Alan Brown
(503) 688-1601
[email-masked]

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Philadelphia Lesbian and Gay Task Force
(215) 772-2000

Rhode Island 
Young Queers in RI 
RI Alliance for Lesbian & Gay Civil Rights
(401) 521-GAYS

Texas
Austin
Lesbian & Gay Rights Lobby of Texas
(512) 474-5475
Dallas
Dallas Gay & Lesbian Alliance
(214) 528-4233
(ask for Michael Osborne)

Virginia
Richmond
Virginians for Justice
(804) 643-4816

Washington D.C.
Jarmila Dokladalova
(202) 667-0693

For information about actions in Las Vegas, NV; and San Antonio, TX call the
Undo 2 Action Hotline.

**********************
No "No-Promo-Homo" Hearings
     Because of phone calls and letters from grassroots activists (September
Activist Alert), the House Economic and Employment Subcommittee on Oversight
and Investigations tentatively postponed its hearing on public school
programs that deal with issues of sexual orientation.  Originally scheduled
for September 12, the hearing will now occur on October 13.
     Lou Sheldon of the Traditional Values Coalition (TVC) is behind these
hearings and has characterized school programs that deal with issues of
sexual orientation  as "resulting in recruitment" in the public schools.
 Though he will not be testifying, Sheldon clearly sees this hearing as a
pulpit  to promote his efforts to further subject lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgender youth to anti-gay ignorance, hostility, and violence in their own
schools. A recent TVC fundraisng letter asked donors to help TVC hire a
public relations firm to assist with the media before, during, and after the
hearing.  According to Lou Sheldon, "[w]e need $25,000 in addition to our
regular costs to effectively saturate the hundreds of media outlets around
America."
     While this Subcommittee cannot draft and pass legislation, this hearing
could set the tone for others who want to introduce or amend  legislation
promoting anti-gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender propaganda.

ACTION:
     Call Subcommittee Chair, Rep. Hoekstra (R-MI), 202-225-4401 and Ranking
Democrat, Rep. Thomas Sawyer (D-OH), 202-225-5231 and ask that this hearing
be cancelled, since it will only further the agenda of Lou Sheldon and other
right wing extremists, who seek to promote intolerance and hatred against our
communities.    If your Representative is on the Subcommittee (see list
below) contact their local office and their D.C. office and tell them you are
a constituent.  Even if your Representative is not on the Subcommittee,
contact their local office and express your concern about the impact of such
a hearing.  Ask them to  contact Chairman Hoekstra (if they are Republican)
or Rep. Sawyer (if they are a Democrat).  IT IS IMPORTANT TO CALL EVEN IF YOU
DID SO PREVIOUSLY - THE EARLIER CALLS & LETTERS CLEARLY HAD AN IMPACT SO
PLEASE ACT RIGHT AWAY.

Other Subcommittee Members:
Bill Barrett (R-NE) 202-225-6435 
Cass Ballenger (R-NC) 202-225-2576
Randy Cunningham (R-CA) 202-225-5452
Howard McKeon (R-FL) 202-225-1956
Michael Castle (R-DE) 202-225-4165
Dave Weldon (R-FL) 202-225-3671
William Goodling (R-PA) 202-225-5836
Harris Fawell (R-IL) 202-225-3515
Matthew Martinez (D-CA) 202-225-5464
Jack Reed (D-RI) 202-225-2735
Tim Roemer (D-IN) 202-225-3915
Robert C.Scott (D-VA) 202-225-8351
Gene Green (D-TX) 202-225-1688

**********************

Don't Let Maine Discriminate
    On November 7th, Maine voters will decide the outcome of a statewide
anti-gay referendum that could impact the entire country.  The confusing and
misleading referendum is the first of its kind east of Colorado.  It was
designed by a Virginia attorney and is intended to withstand court challenges
like those currently being faced by Colorado's Amendment 2.  The proponents
of the referendum openly admit that this is a test.  If passed, they intend
to take it to states throughout the country.  
     Maine Won't Discriminate, a broad-based coalition formed to defeat the
initiative, is in full swing to stop the extremist agenda of the radical
right and educate the public about voting "No on 1."  However, they need your
help to succeed.

ACTION: 
     Call or e-mail the campaign today.  Find out how you can help.   Contact
Maine Won't Discriminate at 207.761.1788 or Mary Dorazio at [email-masked].

**********************

NEA and History Month 
under Attack
     This year's celebration of October as Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual History
Month (LGBHM) has caught the attention of the right wing extremist group
Concerned Women for America.  CWA has flooded the National Education
Association with over 20,000 letters and phone calls in the 
past 2 weeks protesting its endorsement statement which calls upon teachers
and school districts to develop programs for "identifying and eliminating
sexual orientation stereotyping."  Some school districts and local NEA
chapters are beginning to feel heat from callers misinformed about the issue.

Action: 
     Call/write the NEA and tell them you commend the resolution passed via
democratic process by its membership.  Let them know you are a citizen
concerned about equity in education and fair treatment of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender people: Keith Geiger, President; National Education
Association; 1201 16th St. NW; Washington, DC 20036-3290; 202.833.4000; fax
202.822.7974
     Contact the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network for more
information and a curriculum packet: GLSTN; 122 W 26th St, Suite 1100; New
York, NY 10001; 212.727.0135; [email-masked]

**********************

Creating Change 
Deadline Approaches
     The second early registration deadline for NGLTF's eighth annual
activist skills building conference  is nearing.   This year's conference
will be in Detroit, Michigan from November 10 through 12 with pre-conference
institutes on November 8 and 9.  Creating Change is an exceptional
opportunity to meet and share ideas with local and national gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender community leaders from around the country and attend
a myriad of workshops on issues ranging from workplace organizing to
fundraising to sex to affirmative action.  The conference will include
full-day intensives, including a youth institute and an organizational
development seminar.

ACTION: 
     The next lower-fee registration deadline is October 20.  For
registration and further information on the Creating Change Conference call
(202) 332-6483 ext. 3329.