Subject: NGLTF's Sept. Activist Alert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 20:28:14 -0400

*************************************************
NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
          
             ACTIVIST ALERT

SEPTEMBER 1995

2320 17th Street, NW  Washington, DC   20009
(202) 332-6483    FAX (202) 332-0207    TTY (202) 332-6219
EMAIL [email-masked]
*************************************************

No-Promo-Homo Hearings
     The House Economic and Employment Subcommittee on Oversight and
Investigations--which has no actual jurisdiction over the public schools--is
scheduled to have a hearing Tuesday, September 12 on public school programs
that deal with issues of sexual orientation.  These programs are often
referred to as "promotion of homosexuality" by Radical Right fanatics, such
as Lou Sheldon, head of the Traditional Values Coalition, who is the
prinicpal figure behind the hearing.  The Radical Right is determined to hurt
lesbian, bi, gay, and transgender students by forcing them to learn in an
increasingly hostile environment, and hurt straight students by denying them
access to  the truths of lesbian, bi, gay, and transgender lives.

ACTION:  
     Call  Subcommittee Chair Rep. Hoekstra (R-MI), 202.225.4401 and ranking
Democrat Rep. Thomas Sawyer (D-OH) 202.225.5231.  If any of your
representatives sit on the Subcommittee, contact them and identify yourself
as  a constituent.   Let them know that you are concerned for the safety and
education of all youth, and that the programs targeted by the Radical Right
are necessary to save all of America's youth.  Demand that these hearings be
unbiased and not used as a pulpit for Lou Sheldon's dangerous hate
propaganda.

Subcommittee Members
Cass Ballenger (R-NC) 202.225.2576
Bill Barrett (R-NE) 202.225.6435
Michael Castle (R-DE) 202.225.4165
Randy (Duke) Cunningham (R-CA) 202.225.5452
Harris W. Fawell (R-IL) 202.225.3515
William Goodling (R-PA) 202.225.5836
Gene Green (D-TX) 202.225.1688
Howard (Buck) McKeon (R-FL) 202.225.1956
Matthew Martinez (D-CA) 202.225.5464
Jack Reed (D-RI) 202.225.2735
Mel Reynolds (D-IL) 202.225.0773
Tim Roemer (D-IN) 202.225.3915
Robert Scott (D-VA) 202.225.8351
Dave Weldon (R-FL) 202.225.3671

*************************************************

National Lobby Days
     After the successful lobbying trip earlier this year by transgender
activists and allies,  the first ever National Gender Lobbying Days will soon
be a reality.   On Monday & Tuesday October 2-3, hit the Hill to lobby for
inclusion of transgendered people in critical issues such as child custody
rights, national health care, etc. According to In Your Face, these Lobby
Days are open to anyone "concerned about the regimes of gender-based
oppression....or just plain pissed off about discrimination against the
transgressively gendered".

ACTION: 
     Get involved in this historic event and make a difference.  For more
information contact Riki Anne Wilchins 212.645.1753, e-mail
[email-masked]; Karen Kerrin 802.223.4756; or Phyllis Frye 713.723.8368

*************************************************

County Coroner Defies Logic
    The Spokane County Coroner in Washington State, Dr. Dexter Amend, blamed
the sexual abuse and murder of a nine-year-old girl on homosexuals because an
autopsy showed the victim had been beaten to death and repeatedly sexually
assaulted and sodomized.  The girl's uncle has confessed to the killing and
court records show that her  father, uncle and her mother's boyfriend are all
suspected of molesting her over the years.   Although there is no evidence
whatsoever that Rachel Carver was ever abused by a homosexual, Dr. Amend
remained fervent in his portrayal of homosexuals as directly responsible for
her death, by spewing to the local media,  "She's been sodomized over and
over and sodomy is a homosexual act, it is...It's a horrible, unbelievable
thing that this child went through and they (homosexuals) destroyed her
life."  

ACTION: 
     Contact Dr. Amend and let him know what you think of his logic. Spokane
County Coroner's Office, West 1201 Broadway, Spokane, Wash., 99206,
(509)456-2296.  
    Ask the County Commissioners, George Marlton, Steve Hasson and Phil
Harris to demand Dr. Amend's resignation.  County Commission, 1116 W.
Broadway, County Courthouse, First Floor, Spokane, Wash., 99260-0100,
(509)456-2265 phone, (509)456-2274 fax. 
     Send a carbon copy of letters and faxes Craig Peterson, openly gay HRC
vice chair, Spokane Human Rights Commission, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd.,
Spokane, Wash., 99201-3322, (509)625-6263 phone, fax (509)625-6217.  

*************************************************

The Empire Strikes Back
     The University of Alaska, in order to comply with a court order, has
instituted a new policy providing benefits to domestic partners.  The action
comes as a result of suit filed January, 1994 by two University of Alaska
employees.
     The Juneau Empire, the only newspaper in the state capitol, has
published a blistering editorial saying that "Benefits for domestic partners
threatens not only traditional family values but also the pocketbooks of
every Alaskan..." The editorial is filled with the standard misinformation
and anti-family defenses of domestic partner benefits, including that
covering domestic partners is expensive, destroys the family, and is bad
public policy.

ACTION: 
     Write the Editor of Juneau Empire; 3100 Channel Drive; Juneau, Alaska
99801; fax (907) 586-9097 and demand they clarify the record on domestic
partnership.   The experience of municipalities who have instituted domestic
partnership, including Berkeley, CA and Madison, WI, among others, has proven
that the cost is  extremely minimal.   Further explain that providing these
benefits DOES NOT undermine traditional family values - instead, it supports
healthy, long-term financially and emotionally committed relationships.  It
promotes TRUE family values by allowing family members to take care of one
another.   Demand they print the facts.  Demand they print the truth.

*************************************************

GLOBEwide Security
      The Federal Gay, Lesbian, and Bi Employee group GLOBE has produced
 "Security Clearances In The Wake of the New Executive Order", that can help
lesbian, bi, and gay folks through the process of applying for a security
clearance.  Applying for a security clearance is not limited to government
employees; for lesbian, bi, and gay employees of many federal contractors, a
security clearance is required in order to get high-level jobs.

ACTION: 
     To order your copy of "Security Clearances", contact GLOBE: POB 45237;
Washington, DC 20026-5237; 202.986.1101.

*************************************************

Federal Workers Unite...And Give!
     NGLTF has been approved as a recipient of funds through the Combined
Federal Campaign! Any US federal government employee anywhere in the nation
can designate NGLTF to receive funds during the September through December
enrollment period. Make a note of our ID number and help us publicize it in
your community. Designating NGLTF as your recipient is an excellent way for
you to support the ongoing work of the Task Force. Our CFC number is 2622.