Subject: NGLTF ACTION ALERT: May 1995
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 17:56:32 -0400

*************************************************
NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE
          
             ACTIVIST ALERT

May 1995

2320 17th Street, NW  Washington, DC   20009
(202) 332-6483    FAX (202) 332-0207    TTY (202) 332-6219
EMAIL [email-masked]
*************************************************

BOTTOMS DECISION AFTERMATH

 Gay and lesbian parents and people of conscience from all across the country
mourned the recent news that the Virginia Supreme Court had separated a
lesbian mother from her 3-year-old son.  Sharon Bottoms lost custody of her
son Tyler on Friday, April 21, after a controversial 4-3 ruling by the
state's highest court which cited the biological mother's sexual orientation
as a significant motivating factor.  According to a spokeswoman at the
National Center for Lesbian Rights in San Francisco, Virginia now joins
Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota and Oklahoma in finding
that a gay or lesbian sexual orientation makes a parent unfit.
 Activists in Virginia remain hopeful that the VA Supreme Court may review
the decision and agree to rehear the case if 1 of  the 4 justices agree that
a mistake has been made.  Plans for letter writing campaigns and protest are
well underway.

ACTION: WRITE A LETTER OF OUTRAGE.  The Richmond chapter of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is collecting letters addressed "To the
Justices of the Supreme Court of Virginia" to be presented en masse at a
protest on Friday, May 19.  Send a second copy of your letter (including your
name, signature and day time phone number) to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
 Write:  GLAAD/Richmond 2333 Krouse St., Richmond, VA  23234 or email:
[email-masked]. Send a copy to:   Editorial Page, Richmond
Times-Dispatch, 333 E. Grace St., Richmond, VA  23219-6100 or fax (804)
775-8059.
 PARTICIPATE IN THE NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER.  The Metropolitan Community
Church invites people of all faiths to participate in a National Day of
Prayer for gay and lesbian parents this Mother's Day, Sunday May 14.  For
more information, contact a local MCC chapter or call (213) 464-5100 or (214)
351-1901.

***

FROM OJ TO PIZZA...RUSH IS BACK

 Rush Limbaugh eats pizza while commenting on his knack for "always being
right" in a new series of tv and radio commercials for Pizza Hut. According
to the Washington Feminist Faxnet, Limbaugh recently commented on a rural
meeting of lesbian organizers saying they were "mating with pigs" to
"perpetuate the species."

ACTION:  Register your distaste for homophobic and anti-woman radio.  Call
the Pizza Hut comment line:  (800) 358-2222.

***

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION -CALL-IN DAY

 Based on a campaign of misinformation, drastic changes in affirmative action
programs may be advanced in Congress over the next few months.  It is an
illusion to believe that the human dignity and civil rights of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender people can be recognized and protected in a society
that is working to dismantle policies geared toward remedying discrimination
against any group of people.  It is therefore critical that you express your
support for these programs.  Join the Coalition of Labor Union Women by
calling the White House, your Senators and Congressperson on Wednesday, May
10.

ACTION:  Tell Washington not to turn back the clock on progress.  Support
Affirmative Action programs.  Call the White House: (202) 456-1414 and
Congress: (202) 224-3121.

***

CONGRESS:  DAY 101

 Day 101 and beyond will likely bring trying and volatile times for
progressive activists and lobbyists working for change in the nation's
capitol.  According to broadcasts, writings and mailings by Religious Right
organizations, many hope to push a social agenda that includes:  limiting
access to and funding for abortion, cutting spending for AIDS research,
prevention, and services, dismantling of welfare, defunding of pro-tolerance
education, hearings on the "homosexual agenda," rescission of  the "Don't
Ask, Don't Tell" military policy and ending of federal government diversity
training and AIDS prevention education.

ACTION: GET INVOLVED.  For up-to-the- minute alert, subscribe to the
electronic list for g/l/b/t action alerts. A well timed letter or message can
make a difference on Capitol Hill.   Send email to:
[email-masked], in the body of the message write:  subscribe
action-alert.
 ARM YOURSELF WITH INFORMATION:  NGLTF has created a new publication, Born On
November 8?, ($2)  highlighting the anti-gay records of the top Republicans
in Congress.  Also order Lobbying Tips, ($1) a step-by-step guide to lobbying
Congress.  Call the NGLTF Publications line: (202) 332-6483, ext. 3327.

***

PRESERVE HUMAN RIGHTS IN HILLSBOROUGH

 The Hillsborough County Ordinance, passed in May 1991, prohibits
discrimination based on sexual orientation in housing, public accommodations
and in the awarding of county contracts.  On May 17 the Hillsborough County
Commission will hear testimony at the Florida Fairgrounds at 8:30am, as they
decide whether  to repeal the ordinance.

ACTION:  Hillsborough County residents should be sure to attend the hearing.
 Also call the Board of County Commissioners (813) 272-5735 and tell them you
support the ordinance.    Non-county residents can let the Commissioners know
how you feel about spending money in a county that actively seeks to deny
your civil rights.  For more information, contact the Human Rights Task
Force: (813) 273-8769 or [email-masked].

***

HATE IS NOT A JOB SKILL
 
 Students and staff at the Job Corps Center, in Albuquerque, NM, have been
outed, harassed and  threatened by other students and staff according to a
local paper.  Despite public outcries and assistance from the Lesbian
Avengers, Job Corps administrators have been of no assistance and did not
return numerous NGLTF phone calls.  Job Corps, a federally funded vocational
program sponsored by the US Department of Labor (DOL) and administered by the
Teledyne Co., seems to have failed to implement its policies of
 "zero-tolerance" for violence and acceptance of homosexuality.

ACTION: Write or call to demand that the national non-discrimination and
sexual harassment policies be strictly enforced; that DOL follow-up with an
objective investigation of the Albuquerque Job Corps Center incidents
immediately.  Contact: Richard Trigg & Dan Cox, US DOL, 200 Constitution
Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20210, (202) 219-5571 or (202) 219-5183; John
Gaines, Teledyne Corp, 11340 West Olympic Blvd Ste 120,  Los Angeles, CA
90064, (310) 478-0911;  Barbara Calderon, Center Director, Albuquerque Job
Corps Center, 1500 Indian School Road NW, Albuquerque NM 87104 
(505) 842-6500

***
Help end discrimination and build a strong national movement for gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgender freedom through your membership in and
contributions to the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.  NGLTF membership
is $35 for individuals, $60 per household, $125 for organizations, $20
limited income.  Contact the NGLTF membership department at (202) 332-6483 or
email [email-masked].

***
If you have an item you think should be included in ACTIVIST ALERT, please
mail or fax it to , Activist Alert,  NGLTF Policy Institute, 2320 17th St.,
NW, Washington, DC  20009; fax (202) 332-0207; e-mail [email-masked].  All
entries should be national in scope or should allow for activists from around
the country to respond.